newborn with dry mouth (x-posted in Breastfeeding) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an almost 2 week old who has a dry mouth and somewhat chapped lips. Breastfeeding seems to be going well at this point, decent latch, audible swallowing sounds, plenty of wet and dirty diapers, and she appears to be gaining weight. She did have jaundice which made her sleepy and she wasn't nursing enough in the beginning but the jaundice looks to be clearing up just fine and she's having more periods of wakefulness and longer periods of wakefulness. I have been on an elimination diet because she was having reflux. Most of it was "silent reflux"...she has vomited about 3 times, but the elimination diet seems to be helping and it's been 2 days or so since the last time she vomited. I haven't taken her to see a hcp yet, couldn't get a hold of the one that was recommended to me but will be scheduling an appt for her today to see a pediatrician. I'm just worried about getting bad advice from the ped about bfing, but I also don't know what to do about dd's dry mouth and lips. My SO thinks it's because we live in NM and it's very hot and dry here. Any advice appreciated. TIA.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#2 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 05:01 PM

I've never dealt with this issue, but I'll try to help you troubleshoot.

Are you well hydrated? It may be useful to try increasing your fluid intake.

How often are you feeding? Babies drink and eat at the breast, so offering more frequently may help quench any thirst.

That's all I can think of for now, except possibly swabbing LO's lips and mouth with water if it gets too bad.  She's still a little young to offer water as a drink, since she's EBF..

#3 of 5 Old 04-14-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I have been trying to drink more water and have been trying to nurse dd every 2-3 hours during the day and 2-3x after I go to sleep, though I'm very tired and we cosleep so mostly I just let her wake me to nurse. I normally let her nurse as long as she wants. I have an appt for her on Tuesday with a pediatrician, so we will see what she has to say. Hopefully it isn't a big deal and will resolve soon.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#4 of 5 Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 AM

i have used chapstick on my daughter's lips when i notice they are really dry. think of how they are wet half the time from milk and drool, then they dry up when sleeping. if mine were like that they'd be horribly chapped for sure! lol i just use plain chapstick with no flavor or medication and use my finger,  and i've only done it 3 times when she's been asleep.

i don't know about a dry mouth! i wonder if i'd even notice if a baby's mouth was dry.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#5 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

It has resolved but I wonder if it was cuz I have issues with remembering to stay hydrated. 

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page