help with nighttime ritual/transition to crib? (8mo) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my baby is almost 8 months old and i am starting to think about creating a nighttime ritual for him.

dad usually gets home from work anytime between 8:30 and 9:30. we are bed-sharing and my son nurses to sleep. until recently, he would take his last evening nap at around 7 or 8, and then go to sleep for the night around 9:45 or 10. this was working really well because it gave him and dad a chance to see each other before bed, and we would be able to eat dinner together. i would go to sleep with the baby since i would inevitably fall asleep while nursing.

now, baby is starting to have total meltdowns at around 9:30, and it's taking me nursing plus bouncing/walking, plus nursing again to get him to sleep - i know this is because he is getting tired earlier & we're keeping him up too late. right now i am uncomfortable leaving him alone after he's fallen asleep (we have an arm's reach cosleeper set up, but now he can pull up/climb out of it/roll over/crawl, and it's not safe. it will be another week or two until we are able to get a crib from ikea), so i'm still going to bed with him. however, i am longing for the day that we are able to get a crib and put him down, at least for the first stretch of the night, in it! i'd like to spend the next week or two until we can get a crib creating a bedtime ritual, to help make the transition a little smoother, but with dad coming home right in the middle of whatever routine we'd set up, i'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. we usually do baths earlier in the evening, since i want to make dinner later, to still be warm at 9ish for dad. is a simple "special" diaper change routine enough, do you think? nighttime diaper, pjs, maybe a face wash and a book in the bedroom before nursing?

for the record, up until now, he has always taken a majority of his naps on me - he would nurse to sleep and wake up EVERY TIME i moved him. and not "awake and will fall back to sleep with some help" - AWAKE AWAKE. we are working on that issue right now and i've been having success with moving him from nursing to napping alone on a mat on the floor (again, no crib yet). i'm hoping that getting him better at napping will help with the nighttime transition. i will not let him cry it out. i WILL let him fuss and complain and be angry for 5, 10, 15 minutes, but once it turns into true distress i come to his aid.

anyway, i'm sure i'm overthinking this because this is the first time in his life that things have "stopped working" for all of us - as much as i'd LOVE to continue full-time bedsharing, we only have a full size bed, putting it on the floor is not an option, and honestly all three of us are craving more space. plus i am super excited about taking advantage of an earlier bedtime to have mom-and-dad time after the kid goes to sleep. i guess i'm just asking for advice on transitioning to the crib & if anyone has had experience with creating a bedtime routine with a disruption of dad coming home right in the middle of it.

#2 of 2 Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd1 always slept with us Nd in our bed. For dd2 I decided to put her to sleep in the crib to start the night. Getting her attached to a love helps. The no cry sleep solution has some good ideas. Basically just keep trying to lay her in the crib but if you get frustrated go back to your usual routine and try again later. Good luck!

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page