Standing diaper changes with prefolds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone an expert at standing diaper changes with prefolds? I'm struggling with diapering my 10-month-olds. We can't do the trifold method because it just bunches up, but I can't figure out how to get my girls diapered without more hands. (can't use the leg as the leg needs to keep the other baby from getting to the poopy diaper I just took off)  Sometimes I feel like the old woman who lived in a shoe.

Suggestions would be great. The girls just twist and roll, even if I give them toys (they want a different toy, or sister, or just to move).

#2 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Oh, wow.  That is something that I never mastered.  I did have limited success with putting the prefold in a cover and partially snapping/velcroing the cover and doing it pull up style, but it didn't always work.  

I hope you get some great suggestions!!!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 10 Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 AM

maybe try using an elastic belt to hold the prefold, like EC'ers do, then add the cover?

#4 of 10 Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 PM

hmmmm do you have a snappi? i imagine you could possibly get good (with some practice) at snappi-ing the prefold around them while they stand and putting the cover on after. i hear you with the trifold bunching, i can't do it anymore with my 5 month old, he's too mobile and the covers get soiled every single time. the snappi method takes a bit longer, but keeps the prefold secure and saves the cover.

#5 of 10 Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 PM

We totally went through that!!  My DD is so persistant!  Finally we went with AMP All In One's because they were velcro close and all together.  I couldn't do anything else fast enough for her. We also EC...well try to.  I'm hoping she gets it soon because diaper changes aren't fun.  Hope you find a solution soon!!

#6 of 10 Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

I can't manage to get it wrapped evenly and snuggly while the babies are standing, so the snappy trick isn't working for me. I need more practice.

#7 of 10 Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinap View Post

I can't manage to get it wrapped evenly and snuggly while the babies are standing, so the snappy trick isn't working for me. I need more practice.

sorry. i was going to say you might have to go for AIOs...but they're expensive aren't they? and if you've already got refolds and covers...that would suck having to buy more diapers. yeesh. squirmy babies is not something i considered when i went the prefold/cover route!

#8 of 10 Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

I know lots of people who manage prefolds and covers straight through. I'm just struggling right now. The fact that sometimes I need to change one baby with the other in my lap makes it particularly hard. We have some pocket diapers we're throwing in the mix right now, and some grovia all in twos (even with just a trifolded prefold they seem to do pretty well at the standing diapering). We may lean on those.

It just gets confusing for my husband and helpers when we use multiple systems. (and at night it's doubled prefolds or it's leaky. :)

#9 of 10 Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 PM

What kind of cover are you using? I used prefolds all the way through with my DS. When he was in a cover that had velcro (my fav is Dappi), I never had to pin them. To speed things along I prep the new diaper before taking off the old one, then I just throw it on and close it just like a sposie.

#10 of 10 Old 04-26-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thirsties.  I should do some experimenting. The girls take off velcro covers these days.

However, I figured out how to do a standing snappy diaper:

Put on the diaper in back, like an apron, just hanging down, and attach the snappy. Then roll it to make it narrow and put it between the baby's legs. Then pull up the front under the snappy, adjust it, and fasten the third part.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page