my babies first foods having issues help me - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-19-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brody is 6 months and he gags & or pukes when his tongue touches food. is he not ready or is there something wrong? do other babies have issues w heir first foods too?
#2 of 4 Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 AM

Hi.  First, welcome to MDC Welcome.gif

Personally, I wouldn't worry to much *at* six months.  Assuming you are still nursing, solids are only experiemental for the first year.  The optimal diet at 12 months has a minimum of 75% of calories coming from breastmilk (or so it was believed when I researched it).

Because eating food is about the experience, I would just try to make it fun!  You can let your DS hold utensils if he is interested.  Give him a sippy cup.  We, personally, gave soft chunks of food.  My kids also liked "chewing" on harder/larger foods (like a whole carrot--- they had no teeth so couldn't get a chunk, but would happily gum it).

Many children don't have a real interest in food until much closer to their 1st birthday (both of mine were over 95% bfed at one year).  Give him a little bit more time :)

#3 of 4 Old 04-23-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

thank you sooooo much. yes he is a boob baby 7 i guess just wants to stay that way. xoxo love you for this thank you!!!!

#4 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 08:56 PM

My DD2 did this also when we tried her first foods at 6 months. I decided to just give her some food and silverware to play with and figured she would eventually eat. Around 8 months she started eating real food (as opposed to baby food) on her own. She never would let me feed her with a spoon but she was proficient feeding herself with both a spoon and fork by 11 months. Just take it easy and he'll eat when he's ready :)

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

Tags
Mothering Help

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page