laying on back gets cross-eyed & flails arms/legs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So when I lay my baby on her back, she starts flailing her arms and legs and gets cross-eyed and is breathing a little faster.  When I get her attention or talk to her or hold her legs/arms down she is normal.  When I pick her up she is normal.  She's not crying at all, just moving fast and goes cross-eyed.  She doesn't ever do that when she is sitting up.  I also have noticed if I prop her head up a lot she doesn't really do it.  She's 4 months.  Anyone else see this happen?

#2 of 2 Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sounds like normal reflexes to me.  She seems a little old for it, but not totally out of bounds.  Has she always done it?

Babies don't typically learn to converge their vision until around the time they start crawling.  So, when she goes cross-eyed, it might just be her trying to figure out where to focus and how.  When you get her attention, she has a focal point, and that stops the wandering.  As far as arms flailing, she probably just still has a startle reflex and feels scared on her back.  When you hold her arms, she doesn't feel like she's falling, and stops flailing.

Do you do well baby visits?  Might be something to ask your doc about, but I don't think I'd be too concerned just yet if it were one of my babies doing that.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page