Baby carrier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone love their baby carrier? I've been using the maya wrap (ring sling) from birth-six months (LOVE IT!) but baby boy is too big for the front carries now and I'm not loving him on my hip. Thinking about babyhawk, ergo, or beco for a soft-structured carrier. Any suggestions?? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I don't like the ergo but I love our beco gemini. Easily DHs and my favourite carrier.
MamaNicole likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 39 Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM

I don't have a Babyhawk but that's essentially a mei tai, right?  We really like our mei tai so far (it's a Kozy) -- it sounds like our LO is a bit younger than yours, but she's big for her age, so maybe they're about the same size.  

Do you know anyone with a mei tai who would let you try it on? 

#4 of 39 Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recs - there is a store near us that carries them and I think I'll go in to try some on. Appreciate the advice! 

#5 of 39 Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 PM

I have a baby hawk and an ergo, and love them both. I like the BH for newborn, up to about a year, and then it becomes a little borhtersome for me. We still use our ergo on our 2 and 4 year old boys, so I would say we like it!

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#6 of 39 Old 04-24-2012, 03:54 PM

I have a nearly 7 mo old (~18 lbs) and have been using my Angelpack LX (a SSC similar to Beco) and my Freehand mei tai lately. The mei tai especially is SO comfortable. I like the SSC more for back carries, for hiking or longer outings now or in general when baby is older and heavier. I love how the straps on the mei tai can give you the perfect fit, the SSC never fits me like that and I often feel like the shoulder straps are going to slip off my shoulders.But it's quicker on and off and good for quick outings and such.

#7 of 39 Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM

I ADORE my Ergo. They should pay me a commission for all the people I've sent to them.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#8 of 39 Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

We used a maya wrap ring sling and loved it as well! Now dd is 10 months old, and we are using a Boba. It's great and exceeded my expectations. I can carry dd comfortably for hours at a time.

I also tried a mei tai, but found it a bit of a hassle with the long straps dragging around. The boba is much easier to use-- fast to take my dd out of it, and also easy to nurse in. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#9 of 39 Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 AM

I love my Ergo to pieces for long walks--it's sooooo comfy and DD loves it.  But I have to warn you that since she was ~4 months old, she's preferred the hip carry in the ring sling (we have one from Sleeping Baby productions) for short jaunts, errands, and around the house, because she can see so much more (she tends to settle down and fall asleep on long walks).  If you have an active little wriggler like my baby, you might want a carrier your baby can see out of really well.

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#10 of 39 Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 AM

i've got a boba and love it. i think boba, beco, ergo....they seem like essentially the same thing right? i got a boba because it was on sale online. if the ergo had been on sale i would have got that and i'm sure i would love it just the same.

#11 of 39 Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyato View Post

i've got a boba and love it. i think boba, beco, ergo....they seem like essentially the same thing right? i got a boba because it was on sale online. if the ergo had been on sale i would have got that and i'm sure i would love it just the same.

All SSCs but the beco and ergo have some different features. I think it depends on the individual whether those features matter. I love the beco but really dislike the ergo.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#12 of 39 Old 04-25-2012, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a Beco Butterfly 2 and I LOVE it!  It has a panel inside that makes back carries super easy because you can put baby in the carrier and than on your back instead of awkward maneuvering ha!  I am also a bigger girl (size 18ish) and with the Ergo I would need a waist extender  (regular Ergo....Ergo sport has a longer waist), but Beco Butterfly 2 has a long enough waist belt thingy with no extender yay!

Mama to my angel baby Drew (9/22/06), Alexia (10/26/11) , and hoping for a in 3/2015!!

#13 of 39 Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 AM

I love love love my AngelPack (mei tai).  My sister has another kind of Mei Tai which is beautiful but I love the AngelPack because the top bit can be folded over when they are little.  I also like that it is reversable so that my husband can wear it without the pattern.  I also have a cuddly wrap, and two different slings but the Mei Tai has got the most use by far!

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#14 of 39 Old 04-29-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiDrewMama View Post

I have a Beco Butterfly 2 and I LOVE it!  It has a panel inside that makes back carries super easy because you can put baby in the carrier and than on your back instead of awkward maneuvering ha!  I am also a bigger girl (size 18ish) and with the Ergo I would need a waist extender  (regular Ergo....Ergo sport has a longer waist), but Beco Butterfly 2 has a long enough waist belt thingy with no extender yay!

My ergo came with a waist extender....I am a flurfy mama and I've never had to use it. But it did come with one at no extra charge.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#15 of 39 Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 AM

I have a beco gemini and I love it thumb.gif I compared/contrasted between that and the ergo and ultimately just went with the beco because I liked the pattern... They're fairly comparable with a few different features. My cousin has an ergo for her daughter and I do envy her the "hood" that she can pull over while her daughter nurses or sleeps. However, I like that the beco gemini can be adjusted several different ways - front, back, hip, facing forward, cross straps or straight over the shoulder straps - I can put the waist belt around my hips to lower my daughter and nurse her, or have it up higher to snuggle her in on my chest. I'm looking forward to using it for a long time...

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#16 of 39 Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh well, I wish I'd skipped the SSC altogether and gone straight for the woven wrap.  Anyone interested in a barely-used Angelpack...?

However if you love your Maya Wrap it is possible to do a comfy two-shouldered back carry with a ring sling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbsrMOB-onA

texasfarmom likes this.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#17 of 39 Old 05-07-2012, 04:39 PM

I have a Beco Butterfly 2 that I LOVE. I had tried an Ergo at a demonstration and I just didn't like it. I didn't like the way it felt on me and baby didn't seem comfortable. I like the way you can easily transfer baby to your back with the Beco. Check YouTube - there are videos that compare some of the SSC. I also have a BabyHawk mei tei that I am in love with. It takes a little more time to get on and off than a SSC, but once you get used to it there is barely a difference. I'll repeat what another poster said - the mei tei allows me to get the straps tighter so they feel more secure. I know the Beco is secure, but I just like the maximum adjustability on my mei tei. My little girl is into hip carries right now because she wants to see the world. I've been using my pouch (SlingLings) with no problems, but I plan on figuring out the hip carry with a mei tei.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#18 of 39 Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM

We LOVE our Ergo carrier!  Baby loves to ride on back at 7 months!

#19 of 39 Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 PM

Another Ergo vote over here! DS2 used it from birth (with the insert) until I was too pregnant to wear him (he was around 14/15months I think.) I now wear my DD in it (2 weeks), and my DS1 (age 3) fits very comfortably in it as well, when he randomly needs to be worn. 

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#20 of 39 Old 05-08-2012, 04:41 PM

Check out these SSCs! I used my ring sling for the first 3 months then went ergo all the way but have been finding it uncomfortable for back carries and DD is 25+ pounds at 10 months so getting her on my back would be AWESOME. I asked around in my community here and was sent the way of Kinderpacks and Kangas... Just ordered my toddler-sized Kinderpack so can't tell you what I think BUT i've a feeling it's even better than the mass-produced ones such as Ergo, Beco, etc. They're small mama run businesses. Can be a little hard to order one or see what's in stock but I've been told if you join their FB pages or yahoo groups it all makes sense :)

http://www.kindercarry.com

http://www.bloo-kangaroo.com/

#21 of 39 Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I used my ring sling a ton when dd was tiny then felt like she outgrew it. Lately, though, I am falling back in love with it! It took me awhile to get right but now I love the hip carry!
wolfmama31 likes this.
#22 of 39 Old 05-08-2012, 07:05 PM

I LOVE my Beco Gemini. And I was a baby carrier freak....I had about 9 different ones with my first child, and now with my second, the Gemini is the only one I can say I've really used (aside from the handy dandy sling for shorter carries...I have a shoulder problem and the sling is too hard on it for longer periods.)
#23 of 39 Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
HRJ

The Boba has a taller panel than the Ergo and is good if you want to wear it w/ an older child. Bc my baby was over 12 mis when I bought, I was encouraged to go with the Boba. Very glad I did.
#24 of 39 Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM

We love our Boba (more than we liked the Beco).

#25 of 39 Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Love my ergo.  

#26 of 39 Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM

I have a Kozy Carrier Mei tai that I love. DD is almost a year but only 19 pounds. She's tall though, and it holds her in without overwhelming her with fabric.

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#27 of 39 Old 05-10-2012, 03:46 PM

i love my ergo!!!! saved my life!!!

#28 of 39 Old 05-14-2012, 08:57 AM

I'm trying to decide between Ergo and Beco. I'm short and have heard that maybe Beco fits short mamas better? I am looking for a baby carrier that will work great all the way until my baby is 30 lbs etc (like 3 years old). Any advice/details is appreciated.

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#29 of 39 Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngspiritmom View Post

I'm trying to decide between Ergo and Beco. I'm short and have heard that maybe Beco fits short mamas better? I am looking for a baby carrier that will work great all the way until my baby is 30 lbs etc (like 3 years old). Any advice/details is appreciated.

I used both. The Ergo did NOT work for my ds as he got older, the back panel was too short and he leaned back in it to try to throw me off balance. I LOVED my Beco (but it was an older generation when I bought it, so its probably not even for sale anymore!), I used it until my ds was over 2yo, but then sold it because he wanted to walk all the time and I needed a little money. It's a great carrier, and worked better for us for longer than the Ergo did (although I also loved the Ergo, it just didn't last as long).

#30 of 39 Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

I used both. The Ergo did NOT work for my ds as he got older, the back panel was too short and he leaned back in it to try to throw me off balance. I LOVED my Beco (but it was an older generation when I bought it, so its probably not even for sale anymore!), I used it until my ds was over 2yo, but then sold it because he wanted to walk all the time and I needed a little money. It's a great carrier, and worked better for us for longer than the Ergo did (although I also loved the Ergo, it just didn't last as long).

Thanks for this. I'm looking to buy the carrier used at a consignment shop so there's a chance I could find an older model. I read one review of the beco here on MDC that said it is terrible because if the little baby falls asleep, there's no head support. Did you find this to be true, SuperSingleMama? Thanks!

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page