Newborn with eye infection....what can I use to avoid eryth goop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a one week old son. He has had a goopy eye since birth. It isn't awful....never glued shut to where I have to warm rag loosen it. Just a few yellow crusties and a tad runny. I spent a couple days massaging the tear duct. No dice. Our ped said in the first couple weeks it is most likely to be bacterial and if it doesn't get better let her know and they will give give a round of eryth eye goop. I have been breast milk squirting without change. It is not any worse over the last week but still mildly goopy. One of my last kids had eryth as a new baby and I hated it.

Any ideas on helping it self resolve?
#2 of 8 Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 AM

i have heard such great stories about breast milk resolving pink eye, eye infections, tear duct infections....maybe step up how often you dose your NB...(and congrats on having great aim!  winky.gif  i dont think i could do it!) 

Mommie22 likes this.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#3 of 8 Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 PM

Breastmilk works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#4 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 AM

Just happened to see-breastmilk smile.gif
#5 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 04:35 PM

I'd just keep doing what you are doing mama. Your milk has the power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

i have heard such great stories about breast milk resolving pink eye, eye infections, tear duct infections....maybe step up how often you dose your NB...(and congrats on having great aim!  winky.gif  i dont think i could do it!) 

Me neither. I always have to express into a cup and then use a medicine syringe to squirt it in the eye/ear/etc.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#6 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Is the doc sure it's an infection and not a clogged tear duct?

I also would do the breastmilk in the eye - early and often.  :)

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#7 of 8 Old 04-28-2012, 01:36 PM

Maybe something else to try, eat 1-2 cloves of raw garlic everyday. It's a great 'anti-bacterial' and immune stimulant. Baby would get it through your milk. Only thing I'm not sure of though, is that would hurt in the baby's eye. I don't know how much of that part goes into the milk. I would think it would be ok, but don't know for sure.

#8 of 8 Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM

Our pediatrician is really old school (and amazingly awesome) he suggested steeping a chamomile tea bag and letting it cool to warm, wipe the eye from the inside out. Our DS is only 10 days old, but had the yellow crusty eye from day 2, it's cleared up now smile.gif

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern... it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that . . . one stitch at a time, taken patiently." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page