Biking with baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're considering getting a baby bike seat (probably for the front of the bike) so DD & I can pedal around the neighborhood--nothing too exciting, just the library or whatever.

I know the official recommendation is that you wait till baby is one year old, but it sounds like many folks are comfortable biking with younger babies when they can sit well.  DD is 8 months old, sits and crawls, and loooooooves to be on the go, which is why we thought she might like to go biking.

Anyone bike with their kiddo?  Got a bike seat that you love?  At what age did the baby go on the bike?

Thanks so much!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#2 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 PM

There are SO many ways to bike with your baby!  I think a lot of it depends on the seat.  I'd recommend something with significant support and harnessing, maybe like the Bobike Mini (if you want to do front-mounted seating).  We used an iBert, but the harness and back support were not so great.  I probably wouldn't put my 8mo on a bike yet--we waited until 10-11 months.  But I realize it varies by baby.

I think the added thing to consider is that the baby will be wearing a helmet and that adds weight and makes it harder for their little necks to support everything above it.  They need to be able to fit into the helmet properly.  There are a lot of variables.  I have a biking mama guru pal and I'll see if I can direct her eye over here.  

In the meantime, here's some reading:  http://bikeportland.org/2008/04/24/top-tips-for-biking-with-babies-and-toddlers-too-7325

(As a side note, I know someone who had a Madsen bucket bike and modded it to include an infant bucket seat and that's how their baby rode around before it could sit up and all that.)

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#3 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 AM

I don't think it hurts to wait until 12 months, it's not just sitting upright and holding head upright (which can be harder with a helmet), it's also the brain getting knocked around inside the skull. 

We LOVE the Wee Ride http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIH0EG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001DF68MA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SSGRZXY5ES6RBFMEJ8W

It's so cute with him sitting up front and talking to us and he falls asleep laying his head down on the hand rest. 

#4 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM

We are also in Portland and put our first on the front with a Bobike Mini and the smallest helmet we could find around 9 months.  We are a one car family and it allowed my husband (who bike commutes) to pick babe up from a sitter once a week.  He loved it from the beginning.  By a little over a year, DH was going down Mt Tabor pretty fast with him on the front and the baby would scream with delight.

We love our bobike mini, are still using it 4 years later when it is too far to expect him to ride on his own or on the tagalong.  Our 4 year old is just maxing out on the weight limit (he is small for age); we took the pedals off a year ago when the height became a problem.

Nicole, dissertating mama to M (Nov 2007) and expecting another (Mar 2012)

#5 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I know it's harder to hold up the head with a helmet on--I think we're going to take her to a bike shop (probably not for a month at least :) ) and see if we can even find a helmet that fits, and try it out in the parking lot or something.  I'm not convinced that she'll like the helmet (or even biking--she hates strollers because she hates being strapped into things), but eventually I'm hoping she'll like going out biking or at least tolerate it in order to get places.  We're a one-car family and it'd be nice for the two of us to be able to get beyond walking radius on weekdays!

#6 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, we may end up waiting till a year anyway, but thought we'd try it out in a little while and see how it goes.  I'm not convinced by the brain-knocking-around theory... brains get jostled in strollers and on bumpy roads too.  I'm not thinking of mountain biking, just tootling slowly around on neighborhood streets, probably with big underinflated tires to make it less bumpy.

#7 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, that's good to hear!  Where did you find your little tiny helmet?

My DH has very fond memories of riding on the front of his grampa's bike back in India when he was about two years old, so he's all gung-ho about biking with DD!

#8 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 PM

The Lazer helmets are awesome. There is someone in Portland who carries them, but I'm not sure who (ours were gifts). Very light, and with flat backs which work well with seats.

#9 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM

We are biking at 6.5 months here. We basically only go on smooth, low traffic side roads or this paved bike path near the house. She has seen way more jostling in a stroller than on the bike. We're just really careful with the route. My DD has had good neck and torso control for a while, and I'm comfortable with the way she wears the helmet. Giro makes a helmet for smaller babies that we ordered online. I think attitudes are different here than other countries that have more of a bike culture. Folks in some European countries probably would have had the infant car seat rigged in a trailer from the get go. Anyway, it's an area I realize there is risk and I am comfortable with what we are doing. It's so much fun. We have a Yepp Mini seat for the front and also a trailer. Both have advantages. I take the trailer to the grocery so I can fit a couple bags in with her, or if we are going somewhere when I need extra gear. The seat is my favorite though. She gets a great view, is right there for me to talk to. It was easy to put on and has a neat design.

#10 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll look for the Lazer helmet!  That sounds perfect.

#11 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds like lots of fun. :)  I can see the advantages of a trailer, but my DD reeeeeeally doesn't like being out of mommy-reach (I have yet to drive more than 5 minutes alone in the car with her, because she is NOT happy alone in the back seat), so I think the front seat will be more workable for us.  I'd never heard of the Yepp Mini--will have to look for it, thanks!

Tags
Gladrags , Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page