Carrier vs double stroller question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this is a good place to post this question smile.gif

I have a 5 month old DD and a 4.75 year old DS, both home with me while I'm on maternity leave. I have a single jogging stroller which is great for walks in my area (with no sidewalks and gravel shoulders on the roads) and on the trails. I'm not a runner. I also have a Playtex Hip Hammock, which I got for $5 on kijiji and works well. I also have a bad back which has acted up recently quite a bit (starting physio tomorrow).

Here's my question: what's my best option for getting in 1-1.5 hour walks with both kids at my pace (I.e. For exercise purposes, without my son walking or riding his bike at his pace). He seems willing to sit in a stroller, and I can get a Baby Trend double jogger for $100 from kijiji. Or should I spend $75-$100 for a used Beco gemini or Ergo to carry my daughter while pushing my son?

Mostly worried about my back - not sure which is more of a struggle physically. Have great re-sale opportunities here, so even if the double jogger was too small for my son by the end of the summer I'd get my full $100 (and then some, I'd guess) back in re-sale. He's average height and only 36 lbs.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Karen

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Karen (39), DH (40), DS (7/7/07), with three m/c (11/05, 10/09, 11/10), BFP for mid-November -- keeping fingers crossed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 PM

Well, I have only one DD who is 6 mo. and I have been using an ergo to walk ever since she was a tiny one. She had a hard time in her car seat due to a testy tummy. But, alas, my back and shoulders are starting to feel her weight. I am now starting to use a stroller more often which is working well now that she is older. Anyhow, as a massage therapist I would think that the double jogger would be your first choice. If both of your LOs like the stroller there is no reason to put strain on your back and, like you said, you can return it if necessary.

Its my super DH superhero.gif, my lovely DD jog.gif(11/15/11), ferocious Future Cat, and myself read.gif

familybed1.gif

#3 of 6 Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 AM

If I were you, I would get the double jogging stroller.  You'll probably want it eventually either way.  Walks that long are going to hurt your back, there is likely no getting around that.  Plus I don't enjoy carrying baby for long walks because it gets hot here and we both get sweaty.  I am huge into baby wearing around the house and when I run errands.  But for workout purposes, I swear by my jogging stroller (my seven year old still rides in it lol).

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 05-08-2012, 02:43 PM

After a couple months, I could almost swear I felt more comfortable walking around with my ds2 in our Ergo, than walking around with no baby on me.  It becomes a second skin. And remember, with an Ergo, the weight is distributed around the hips.  

The only time the Ergo was uncomfortable for me was when I was pushing ds1 in a stroller that had me slightly bent over.  If I wasn't walking upright, I felt it. How is the height on your stroller?

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#5 of 6 Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM

I also have been having back issues and walking is my only source of exercise.  I have a 2.5 year old DD and a 4 month old.  I initially got a Joovy Caboose sit and stand type stroller and it totally torqued my back.  Ouchies!  So I recently got a Peg Perego Aria Twin side-by-side.  Much friendlier on the back.  My point, not all double strollers are the same.  Babywearing did not work at all for me.

#6 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 05:07 AM

I would get a double jogging stroller.  I love babywearing around the house or on errands, but for heavy-duty walking (especially in the summer when it's hot), I prefer a stroller.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page