Normal amount of daytime sleep for 9week old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been waiting for my little guy to fall into some sort of pattern and it just isn't happening. Some mornings he gets up at 7am other times he sleeps till 11am LOL and I'll admit I stay in bed that late with him! He's still nursing a few times during the night and I'm tired. He sleeps partially in our bed partially in bassinet next to bed. (part of problem is big sisters are gone to their dads on thurs and fri am so we don't have to get up at 6am like we do mon-wed)

I thought I remember my older girls falling into 2 naps a day but I don't remember when. Some days he takes 2 decent naps, other days he just wakes up every time I put him down and takes more like 6 naps a day. He seems to get cranky and tired after 7 but if I nurse him to sleep he wakes up after a few minutes then and ends up staying up until closer to 9 (which was 10 or later 2 weeks ago). Dh is at home during the day and is really good at getting him to sleep, when I hold him of course he goes crazy bonking his head around hoping to hit a nipple.

Is it just too early for them to fall into a routine? I'm not looking for a strict schedule but something roughly similar each day would be nice. 

#2 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 AM

My DD didn't really start a sleep pattern until around 4 months. Before then she would sometimes have a pattern but then suddenly it would all change. It was the same thing, where some days she would take a 2 hour nap and others she would take 4 catnaps. There didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. Around 16 weeks she started taking more regular naps (basically up for 2 hours at a time, followed by a nap) and shes started going to bed and waking at the same times, though I could tinker with that a little (if I put her to bed late, she would sleep in.) Now at 6 months she is pretty much like clockwork.

#3 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM

...I'm still waiting, and my son is nearly 6 months.  headscratch.gif

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#4 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Sounds pretty normal to me, or at least very similar to what my DD did. She didn't fall into a real pattern at home (earlier at daycare) until around 8 months. What she did instead was have phases of good naps and phases of bad naps. She wouldn't sleep for more than 20-40 minutes at a time for a few days, then she'd take, like, two two-hour naps a day for a few days. But then for the past three months or so, she's been pretty steady with a morning and afternoon nap of 1-2 hours each, minus a few blips.

The unpredictability drove me CRAZY! It made it so hard to know when *I* might be able to take a nap--she had an uncanny ability to wake up just as I was drifting off to sleep. Very hard. Hang in there!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#5 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 AM

I think it helps to have a good sleep routine. For us, the trigger for night time sleep is the swaddle and story read to my 6 year old. I do this at the same time every night. When it's difficult to go down for a daytime nap, I swaddle him and rock him to sleep. If this fails, the surefire solution is to put him in the baby carrier while I vacuum or go for a walk. If I do sleep in with him, I always end up regretting it because he falls out of a pattern. Good luck mama!

#6 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 PM

My dd is only roughly falling into a sleeping pattern now and she is almost six months. From the other mommies in my local mommy group (10 moms, 11 LOs), only two of them had any discernible pattern before 6 months. Luck of the draw. I have been assured, though, that it will eventually happen. peace.gif

Its my super DH superhero.gif, my lovely DD jog.gif(11/15/11), ferocious Future Cat, and myself read.gif

familybed1.gif

#7 of 7 Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Oh it stopped emailing me afater the first reply, didn't realize I had gotten more! OK so he's totally normal and I shouldn't expect anything too soon.

He was so naughty this am LOL, his sisters don't have to get up ti 6:25 which already kills me (i'm a night owl, my least favorite part of parenting is having to get them up and ready for school) and Silas gets up at 5, nurses for awhile then proceeds to talk, coo and shreik from 5:45 til 6:30 in bed with us LOL. I tried to sleep through it and let dh play with him but it just wasn't working. Then he crashed for 2.5hrs this morning and 3 hours this afternoon! a lot of it was in car though....

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page