Disposable Dipes Stock-up Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not due until July, but the diapers I like to use (Earth's Best) are on major sale right now at BRU and I want to stock up.

I don't know how many packages to buy of each size!  Today I bought:

2 Newborn packs

4 Size 1

4 Size 2

I'd like to go out for another round.  Will I need more Newborn size?  Or do babies outgrow them too fast to be worth it?  I honestly have NO MEMORY of how long DS was in each size!

P.S.  I'm worried about the ability to return them if necessary because I'm buying so far in advance.... I don't know if BRU has a time limit on returns.  So if I sound a wee-bit neurotic, that's probably why!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#2 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

You can expect 12 to 14 diapers in a 24-hour period. I have not used sposies for awhile, so not sure about the sizing. I think my oldest two did fine in size 1 pretty quickly and they were 7ish lbs. at birth. The newborns I think were mostly useful while the cord was still attached because of the notch.

#3 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 04:50 PM

I use EB & 7th Gen and here's how the sizes have gone for me- My oldest son who was 8.5 only stayed in newborn for a couple of weeks. My new baby, about a month or so, and he was 7.7.

He's 4 months now and in size 2, and has been for a while. So yeah, I wouldn't bother with many newborn and probably not a ton of 1s either. 2s have a pretty nice size range though, so I'd get mostly those. Oh, and my little guy is 15 pounds now and I suspect will be fine in 2s for quite a bit longer.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#4 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My son was 10 lbs. at birth and went straight to the EB size 1 (we use disposables for going out and at night).  I bought a ton of size 1 but then used mostly cloth and before I knew it he had skipped size 2 and went straight to size 3 (he was 18 lbs. at 3 months).  For your average-sized baby, I would go with 1 pack of NB and then move him/her to size 1.  My baby had huge and fast growth spurts between 0-3 months and I was left with a ton of unused size 1, so keep the growth spurts in mind!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#5 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 AM

With diapers (and clothes) generally a little bigger is not a big deal, but too small is too small.  All my kids were basically avg sized babies (ranging from 6-12 to 8-2) and I think they were able to wear size 1 pretty quickly.  Newborn is really only necessary the first week or two until the cord comes off.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#6 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Have you used their newborn dipe before? I almost always use 7th gen when I use disposable but I loathe their newborn diaper and that was also true for the Earth's Best. They have a miserable design. It was the one instance when  I would choose Pampers. Their newborn dipe is quite well designed.

Also, have you double-checked with amazon.com ? Because Babies R Us rarely, RARELY beats them on price.

Your numbers sound about right because you can't predict what size the baby will grow and how fast he or she will grow.

I think we used two cases newborn, one case of size one, and then we switched to cloth.

#7 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies, ladies.  It has been very helpful!

No, I didn't use EB for newborn.  I used pampers for a while until the guilt got to me.  innocent.gif  I mean, I know I'm not a cloth girl, gDiapers were too complicated, but I couldn't stand going the straight huggies-pampers route.  I needed something a SMIDGE more crunchy.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page