First time mommy...HELP! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sooo...I keep rewritting this because I feel like I have to explain everything, so I'm going to just explain everything first. haha
My boyfriend and I are both 19 and expecting our first baby, both of us are super excited and can't wait for December to get here. We both know that I'm still in my first trimester so we are just planning...no buying anything yet, for obvious reasons, don't want to be heartbroken. Neither of us drive...yet. I'm working on getting my license, and because he caused a bit of trouble a year ago, he can't drive until May of next year, so we both depend on the local bus and my parents to get us places. We live with my parents because he's trying to get work in an extremely small and depressed logging town, and I'm a Freshman in college. Kay...so onto my question.

I plan on buying a co-sleeper that attaches to my bed, it'd be easier to breast feed and it'll be reassuring to look over and see baby whenever I wake up. But I want something that I can bring around the house, to my friends' houses, grandparents, ect. that's easier than packing up a bassinet (my sister had one for her daughter, and I hated it! When I babysat, I just made a babysafe nest on the floor for her) or the playpen/co-sleeper I plan on getting. I looked at moses baskets, but I can't find any that I like. I just can't bring myself to put my baby in a basket. haha I know that my nephew slept in a drawer and laundry basket for the first 2 months of his life, and he's fine...but I just can't bring myself to do something like that to my little sea monkey.

So, my question is...is there something that's easy to move from place to place like a moses basket, but more like a bassinet or something? If not, any opinions on which one I should get that will work with my current situation?

Thank you so so SO much for taking the time to read this, and hopefully help me out.

stork-suprise.gif 10 1/2 weeks

Had my beautiful baby boy 12/5/12 nocirc.gifbabyf.gif

#2 of 5 Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 PM

How about one of these--a Moses basket that fits into a stand, so it's closer to the height of your bed: http://www.google.com/search?q=moses+basket+stand&hl=en&client=safari&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=kZ-sT761BYOniQKVuI3vBg&ved=0CJABEK0E&biw=480&bih=268

We had one of these loaned from a friend. Alex didn't like it much (he just slept in our bed), but it was well made and looked cozy. Maybe it would meet your needs? Alex would have outgrown it by 3 or 4 months, though (but he'll a really long baby).

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#3 of 5 Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

That seems like it'd help a lot actually...I know its still a moses basket, but it helps it's not on the floor. Baby doesn't have to fit in it too long...but a few months would be nice haha
Thank you sooo much.

#4 of 5 Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I looked into the moses basket when pregnant but decided against it because 1) it can only be used for a few months; and 2) having to take baby out everytime for nursing makes the mother very tired. I

So I ended up just co-sleeping with her in our bed. We pushed the bed against the wall, and baby sleeps between me and the wall (hubby doesn't always sleep with us because he doesn't want to wake up at night, lol). Nursing is easy because I don't need to get out of bed. I fall asleep while she nurses so I don't feel sleep deprived. 

For carrying baby around, I found baby carriers very convenient-- a ring sling from newborn to 6 months, and a soft-structured carrier after. I found it much easier to bring baby everywhere while having use of both hands. Also enables me to nurse on demand anytime. 

hth!

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#5 of 5 Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page