Sleep Tips needed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-12-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My LO slept great for the first five months - he would sleep 6-8 hours, eat, and go back to sleep for another 3 hours.  Then around 5.5 months, he went through a phase of sleeping about thirty minutes at a time, slightly longer if he was on our chest.  We have managed to get him back into his crib, and he's sleeping 2-3 hours stretches at a time.  However, getting him to go to sleep is a struggle - I either have to nurse him to sleep, or we have to rock/bounce/walk him to sleep, and it can take a while sometimes.  

So my question is this - do you have any tips on how to get your child to sleep easily, or how to help him sleep through the night??  

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#2 of 3 Old 05-12-2012, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You know, each kid is different.  With my first, I remember working and working to get him to sleep.  With my second one (who is now 6 months old), it seems much easier.  I don't know if this one is easier in general or if it's something I'm doing.  With this one, I wait longer before I put him down.  He is VERY sleepy by the time nap time rolls around and will go down without a whimper.  About a month ago, he started being difficult to put down and I realized that he was stretching out his waking periods and I hadn't adjusted to it.  I was putting him down about every 1.5 hours after he woke up and he wasn't REALLY sleepy until 2- 2.5 hours after waking.  Once I adjusted, things got much easier.  So maybe that could be it?  

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#3 of 3 Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
At 6 months old I'd say sleeping 2-3hr stretches is fairly typical. I'm not sure there's much you can do to get him to sleep longer. As far as getting to sleep easily, the easiest way for me has always been feeding to sleep. It takes a while sometimes (especially if I misjudge how tired she is) but I take my book with me and try to enjoy the lie down. One other thing we did find helped around that age was DH lying down with us. It stopped her popping up all the time to see where Daddy was.

It's a busy time for them developmentally and I thInk that's a big contributor to changing sleep patterns at that age. My biggest comfort was that none of the patterns lasted that long :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page