What's the very best baby toy you have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 05-20-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There's so much out there.  Some of it is good but lots of it is garbage.  What the very best baby toy you have?

For us it's this butterfly mobile that we hang above DD's crib.  The butterflies are completely realistic and made of paper.  They float in the breeze and are absolutely beautiful.  It was a gift from a friend when DD1 was born.  She bought it from a Montessori catalogue that I have long since lost.  For both of my kids it's the only thing that really entralls them. 

What about your babes?

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 05-20-2012, 06:56 AM

My almost 5 month old loves her Sophie Giraffe. It's adorable watching her shove it into her mouth and chew with delight.

#3 of 20 Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 PM

Kitchen tools! My son loves anything he sees me use or anything that isn't necessarily a baby toy. Those are the things that can hold his attention for much longer than any of the other toys he has.

#4 of 20 Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM

Not a toy, but our son loves the high-contrast board books we have (Look, Look and Baby Animals). He's 4 weeks old and has been fascinated by those books since the day we brought him home. It is so fun to watch him look at them smile.gif
#5 of 20 Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post

My son loves anything he sees me use or anything that isn't necessarily a baby toy. Those are the things that can hold his attention for much longer than any of the other toys he has.

yeahthat.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#6 of 20 Old 05-31-2012, 06:54 PM

I just posted about this. My son doesn't like baby toys! lol. Hes always loved books. He's really into things that have bells and he can shake to make jingly bell noises.

Oh and touch and feel books are his favorite:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/baby-touch-and-feel-easter-bunny-roger-priddy/1101339787?cm_mmc=google+product+search-_-q000000630-_-easter+bunny-_-9781466811089&ean=9781466811089&r=1

#7 of 20 Old 06-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Our son loves his Bright Starts "Around We Go" stationary walker. We watched a youtube video and were sold. It wasn't easy to get in Canada, but sure was worth it. We can "pretend" to chase him and walk around with him holding our hands. At 8.5 months old he feels very proud of himself for being able to walk "without" our help and he loves to show us how well he does it.

#8 of 20 Old 06-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Me!  My babies have always loved to copy my faces, and for me to talk and sing to them.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#9 of 20 Old 06-02-2012, 08:21 PM

My daughter loves her Sophie too, and her big toybox - she dumps out all the toys, pulls it over sideways and pulls herself up on it. Over and over and over again. She seems to have the most fun with things that belong to me or her dad though. She loves my wallet and keys. Her dad just got a new mouse for his laptop as his other one had broken. He gave her the broken one and she will play with it for 10 minutes at a time...which is a long time for a 7 month old. 

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#10 of 20 Old 06-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Stephanie seems to like the mega blocks tractor, dump truck and animals her sister gave her. SHe plays with them in her high chair. She really likes when we play with the bubble stuff, too. And her pinwheel, which her big sister happened to walk over with as I typed this, or I would have forgotten about it!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#11 of 20 Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 AM

My son likes to chew on anything fabric, so these two toys have been his absolute favorites:

http://www.urthchild.com/under-the-nile-organic-cotton-blanket-friend.html

http://www.urthchild.com/kathe-kruse-organic-rainbow-baby-nicki-blue-stripes.html

He also loves his Sophie, blocks, books, his big sister's play kitchen food, and this toy hanging from his playgym.  At the table, we give him spears of asparagus, celery stalks, or apple wedges to gnaw on.  He's not really eating solids at this point, but he likes to gnaw on things and it keeps him occupied.

#12 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 PM

id have to say the best toy we have is the one we didnt pay for and its the one he likes the most.. its one of those overhead toys you put over them so that the toys dangle over them to grab and when they pull them it plays music.... he has always loved it..great for motor skills. Also I would have to say the bumbo chair which i guess isnt really a chair but he likes it and his  Jungle Jumper play seat thats surrounded by toys and music... :P

#13 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 PM

I mean it really isnt a toy (bumbo seat) lol

#14 of 20 Old 06-16-2012, 05:22 PM
#15 of 20 Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 PM

This:

and anything that wasn't a baby toy!

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#16 of 20 Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mine liked:  

rainbow teething ring

lids

a plush caterpillar rattle

stackable cups, and any type of container

plastic bottles filled with colored water, dried beans, etc

the dog's toys

#17 of 20 Old 07-22-2012, 04:53 PM

my father-in-law bought this stuffed peacock toy (I see his name is Jacque - we call him Deepak), and my nine-week-old is obsessed with it. we don't have a mobile (or a crib), but we just hold it above him when he's fussing and he's instantly captivated. I think it's the contrast that he likes.

he also loves high-contrast board books and magazine collages (not toys, I know).

-maryam-

mother to a little silly goose boy (May 2012) + seven non-human kiddos + five who have passed on stillheart.gif

partner to a babywearing, dirt-digging, diaper-washing, hammer-wielding programmer since November 2003

#18 of 20 Old 09-15-2012, 03:40 PM

- tv remote

- anything the cat likes

- metal whisk

#19 of 20 Old 09-15-2012, 06:13 PM

We got this stacking ball tower thing for her first birthday and she still plays with it every day almost six months later!

http://www.educationaltoysplanet.com/stack-n-roll-tumbling-tower.html

She stacks the pieces and builds the tower. She drops the balls in and squeals in delight as they fall down. Then she knocks the tower down and turns the pieces upside down and puts them inside each other, then builds it again. It's by far the most used entertainment except for chasing the cats :-)
#20 of 20 Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 AM

Seashells. I have two huge ones that DS just loves. They are super thick and strong. One is a cowrie I found while freediving that's as big as my palm. Slippery and smooth and there are bumpy teeth on one side - so great for mouthing. The other is a large abalone-like shell that is pink without holes in it and it has been polished on both sides. It looks like a huge pig ear, but so pretty.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page