Is there ANY good front carrier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-20-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a huge (15lbs) 10-week-old baby. He really, really wants to face forward, as in throws a fit until he's turned around on lap or in carrier, after which he is completely happy. I used a Bjorn with my 1st 9 years ago before I know about the supposed hip issues and it was great. Now though I don't feel comfortable using it...though I have tried a couple of times and indeed, my new little guy looked happier than in any other carrier.

I've used a Moby wrap a few times and that worked well until he got so big -- now it just kills my back. Regular ring sling has not been great as he is not developmentally able to hold himself up well for a hip carry yet and he's so big he just seems squashed in other carries (and also he just hasn't liked it very much). Maybe I am just not doing it right.

I just don't buy the "overstimulation" argument about not using front carriers -- that just seems silly to me.  However, the hip/crotch thing does make sense.

So I'd love to find a front-facing carrier that was supportive like an Ergo. Does such a thing exist?  Is the Belle baby carrier any good?

#2 of 7 Old 05-20-2012, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's my understanding that front facing precludes having the baby in a seated position which is what protects their hips. I have a ktan which allows a front carry and I have used it that way, although not in awhile. when my baby wants to be able to see and interact more I use the "explore" position with the ktan. I still use it with my 22lbs baby although I've started using the reinforcing band, lately. If you liked the moby a woven wrap will allow most o the same carries but with a lot more support.
#3 of 7 Old 05-20-2012, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
You could have a look at the Beco gemini. I could never get comfortable with my LO forward facing (and I do think there is the potential for overstimulation) but DH wore her ff all the time and she seemed to be in a good position.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 7 Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe a mei tai worn in the front. I did that with dd2 for a while.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

There is a good front facing carry for a ring sling. You kind of fold the babies legs kind of crossed across the belly (almost like folding the baby up...lol!) and then tuck them in the sling in the front. Their back is against your chest so there is fairly good head support. I'll see if I can find a photo...

th_f934f62f.jpg

http://zolowear.com/WearingKangaroo.aspx

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#6 of 7 Old 06-03-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

I did discover the front-facing in a ring sling carry and he does like it for a little while (10 mins or less).  But he must be around 17 lbs now that he's 12 weeks old -- in the 97th %ile for size -- and he barely fits IN the sling facing forward.  I will keep on trying as this seems to be the best we can do right now, but REALLY looking forward to when he gets a little bit better at holding up his head & sitting and we can just do a hip carry or something.  (I cannot WAIT until he can go in a backpack.  My 1st sometimes spent about half the day in his backpack.)  I tried him in the Ergo facing in again the other day but he just shrieked the entire time and the edge of the carrier cut into his thighs.

#7 of 7 Old 06-03-2012, 01:53 PM

The other problem with forward facing out carries with a bigger baby, is even if you can find a way to properly support their hips and spine, it's very, very hard on your back, and pelvic floor. I'd highly recommend getting a good woven wrap (not a stretchy like a moby) or a Meitai and learn a high back carry. That way baby can happily look around, and you won't be damaging yourself. If you are a bit intimidated by putting your baby on your back, there are great instructional youtube videos on back carries, or even better, there's probably a local babywearing group near you who can help you figure it out.

rachelsmama likes this.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page