4.5 month old's teeth are coming in, does this mean I should start solids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just felt in 4.5 month old's mouth and her 2 bottom teeth are coming in. This totally shocked me! For some reason I thought that you should start solids sometime around when teeth come in, is this correct or there is no connection? I felt like I wanted to wait closer to 6 months to start.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Teeth have nothing to do with when solids should be introduced.  They don't use their first teeth for eating anyway - chewing is done with molars, which won't be in until much later, and first foods should be able to be gummed instead of chewed.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)

There's sort of a loose connection, but not really. There are other factors to gauge food-readiness that are WAY more important. Interest in food, good pincer grasp (picking things up with thumb & forefinger) and sitting up on their own. I wouldn't start solids before 6 months regardless (maybe a teensy bit earlier if the baby was super ready, and even then I'd start slow with a few tastes of avocado/banana.)

My DS and DD both were early teethers, around 4-5 months, and both started easing into solids very slowly around 6 months. smile.gif

No connection  :)

Old 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM

Don't worry too much about it. My son started teething at 3 months and by 6 months had 7 teeth. He showed next to no interest in food until 6 months, though and we're just starting him on solids now at 7 months.

User Tag List