Valid concerns or post pardum anxiety? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-26-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am going to cross-post in Toddlers since it also concerns my three year old, but I don't really know where this should go...

I am feeling absolutely unbelievably awful and anxious. I don't know if this is post-partum anxiety or if I really have reasons to be concerned. I'll tell my story, and let you guys tell me if Im crazy or not because I really can't decide what is reasonable....

So, I am staying at a friend's house while she is in China with her 9 year old son. I have a 3 year old and a newborn. Like most parents on here, I am super careful about pesticides/herbacides in my and my childrens' lives. As of three days ago I am feeling pretty bad. DH and I were sitting on the patio in the backyard having lunch when I saw through the bushes that the neighbor was spraying his whole lawn with one of those hand-held sprayer wands. I expressed some concern to DH about whether we should stay there or go inside (we were sitting about 25 feet away) and DH said that it was ok since he was spraying at the ground and we were far away. Then our dog ran into his yard and my DH asked the guy what he was spraying so he would know whether to wash off the dog or not. The neigbor said it was "weed killer". GREAT. So DH rinsed off the dog with the garden hose. 

Then today, three days later, I catch the nine year old and my three year old making a puddle with the hose pretty much on the guy's property and playing in the puddle with their hands. I strip my three year old down and give him a shower.....But now I can't stop thinking about the fact that he was playing in a puddle of the stuff potentially......

Is that all just anxiety or are any of these concerns valid? I feel crazy with worry. Would the herbicide he sprayed have absorbed in the three days? Is it possible that even though he was spraying at the ground we breathed that stuff in?

Help me think clearly....Or, I should say, pleas think clearly FOR me....

Thanks ahead of time! (Could use a hug.....)

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

#2 of 2 Old 05-26-2012, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a fairly relaxed new mama, but I wouldn't worry too much. If the kids show any signs or symptoms of poisoning, or develop a rash, there may be cause for concern. As it is, there is little you can do about their possible exposure to the toxins from whatever weed killer he was spraying,most have some toxic ingredients. You responded quickly and washed off what you could. Also it being a few days after the neighbor sprayed is probably better than if it had happened the same day.
Do what you need to do. If you're worried, call your pediatrician or poison control. Good luck, I hope it's all okay. And take care. Hugs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page