What now? Lol. My son is 9.5 months old. He seems ... bored. What am I supposed to be doing now, at this stage? So confused and lost. Help! Pls. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I lean really far towards montessori and waldorf styles, and am an attached parent.

My son has never really been interested in any toys that you buy at the toy store. He just won't play with them. He's more into physical contact play and very social. He loves me to wear him in my carrier and take him everywhere... and I do!

Well, I feel like I might be missing something. Maybe not knowing what to do or not doing the right thing.

He just started crawling 2 days ago, he's into everything, and he seems to be bored of everything. He will not really spend that much time just exploring what  I put out for him.

I have random "treasure baskets" - full of stuff that seems interesting ... but now he's bored of it... do babies GET bored? He seems like he wants NEW stuff all the time! What do I have to do? Go buy things all the time?

He loves books, we have lots of them. He just loooves being read to and looking at books.

I made sensory shaker bottles but he was only into those for a bit and now in uninterested.

He just loves walks. Nature walks, walks in town ... all walks. He would prefer if I walk everywhere with him all day long and never stop walking ... EVER! lol

I see all this on pinterest about sensory activities, but it doesn't seem to fit my son. He puts everything into his mouth. He doesn't discriminate. Which makes sensory activities hard b/c he will definitely put it all in his mouth.

What do YOU do with your baby?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My 8 month old loves walks and nature too.

Some more ideas...

-Water watching. We live at the beach so just watching the waves or any running creek/rivers he likes. Even mama doing the dishes :)

-Other kids/babies. Going places where other kids are at, he likes to watch them.

-Sitting/exploring in nature. We sit together & I let him touch what's around him, sand, rocks, grass... I just watch carefully so it does not all end up in his mouth. 

-You could hide some of your "treasure baskets" items for a while, then they are new again. I've been doing this. 

-Kitchen stuff/play. Wooden spoons, cups... can be noisy!! 

I'm sure I'll think of more later & look forward to what others add!

-Nicole

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

Old 06-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Do you have an excersaucer or bouncer? I know there has been a lot of controversy surrounding them, but when used properly they can provide the same physical stimulation experienced on walks and outdoor excursions. Our DS loves his and it helps to break up the monotony of the day. What about books or interactive games? Being a new mom I wasn't sure what to do with my DS and wanted to make sure that I wasn't holding him back in any way so I searched for things to do with him at different stages of growth and the suggestions seemed pretty great. One thing my DS also loves is when I sing to him and let me tell you I cannot sing at all, but I do because it entertains him.

Here is a great site I found that offers new activities based on your babies age - week by week. At the bottom of the article you can browse forward or back a week.

http://www.babycenter.ca/baby/development/letsplay/9months1stweek/

Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Do you have an excersaucer or bouncer? I know there has been a lot of controversy surrounding them, but when used properly they can provide the same physical stimulation experienced on walks and outdoor excursions. Our DS loves his and it helps to break up the monotony of the day. What about books or interactive games? Being a new mom I wasn't sure what to do with my DS and wanted to make sure that I wasn't holding him back in any way so I searched for things to do with him at different stages of growth and the suggestions seemed pretty great. One thing my DS also loves is when I sing to him and let me tell you I cannot sing at all, but I do because it entertains him.

Here is a great site I found that offers new activities based on your babies age - week by week. At the bottom of the article you can browse forward or back a week.

http://www.babycenter.ca/baby/development/letsplay/9months1stweek/

Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hi! He loooves water too. We watch the fountain at the park ... but I seriously think he would be totally happy with walking all day ... I get tired :)

Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 PM

What do you mean when you say he gets bored? My DS is 9.5 months old and doesn't really have much patience or interest in toys. He mostly picks them up and then throws them back down again before moving on the the next thing. I don't see it as him being bored as much as he just loves to go-go-go. Ever since 5 months, he has been so focused on gross motor skills like crawling and now almost-walking that he kind of ignores everything else, but I think that's just who he is right now.  I'm always surprised when I see my friends' babies who like to sit and manipulate a block or play with a toy for 5-10 min at a time, my guy definitely doesn't like to do that!

Actually, one of his favorite "games" is one of my favorite things to do when I'm exhausted. Our mattress is on the floor of the bedroom and the rest of the room is baby safe, so I just lay on the bed and pile pillows and blankets all around and he plays "obstacle course" and just climbs around for a long time. Usually he'll keep it up until he's hungry and then I'll pull him up next to me and nurse him. Best lazy-mama game ever! (eta: I am definitely NOT calling you a lazy mama - just calling myself one, sometimes )

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 06-07-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

By bored I mean, he is not at all interested in toys, and he just started crawling, but he doesn't like to be on the floor for that long until he fusses for me. Than I pick him up and he expects me to do something entertaining- which is where our nature walks come in.

But what else can I do? He doesn't like to play on the floor. He just wants to be in my carrier and walk around. But I'm feeling almost burnt out. I'm tired. I feel like the walking DEAD!

I love my son. I love holding him and wearing him and nursing him and sleeping with him, but I just wish he would play for a little.

When we first wake up, at 5:30, he will explore for like ... 30 min. The whole area is baby proof. Than he gets really upset and antsy and if I try sitting in bed with him, he protests, and he doesn't want to be out in the floor to play, than we go outside orngbiggrin.gif

User Tag List