infant plane travel - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're taking our eight month old on a 6 hour plane trip - any tips from mama's who have traveled before with an infant? 

#2 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 10:15 AM

Make sure you have a sling. Because then you can have hands free even if not a lap free. (and I was able to doze on an overseas flight...without the sling I would have worried about dropping the baby)

Bring not too messy snacks that your child likes.

Bring  a few simple toys and books so you can change things out as the baby (and you) get bored.

Ask which bathroom has a changing table. It's probably only one on the plane (and change diapers right before you board).

#3 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
We flew for the first time when our LO was 7mo. It was actually much easier than we were expecting. This is what helped us

- baby carrier is a must. So useful to have hands free.
- we used a dummy clip to attach a toy to the carrier so she couldn't throw it away while we were walking
- she wasnt very into toys but things like daddy's watch and the inflight magazine kept her entertained
- take advantage of early boarding offers
- breast feed on take off and, more importantly, landing
- when the seat belt sign was off we let her stretch her legs by standing at our feet for a while

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 AM

Definitely use a sling or some sort of soft carrier.  I was able to keep my baby in the mei tai through security.  They did test my hands for (I'm assuming) bomb residue, but that was easy.  I just had to touch the mei tai and then the TSA lady wiped my hands with some wipes.  It was much easier than taking a stroller through!

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#5 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 PM

i am traveling with what will be a 6 month old soon, these are great tips. any thoughts on disinfecting the seats/tray tables etc?

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

#6 of 11 Old 06-05-2012, 01:43 PM

So much good advice! I second the idea of bringing a carrier with you and breastfeeding on takeoff and landing. I used my carrier to help DS get to sleep during a long layover.

Some other things I've done:
-bring my own pillow so I could put behind my lower back or under my elbow for support when holding sleeping baby.
-small blanket too
-give yourself plenty of extra time for EVERYTHING and bring extra diapers/wipes (you never know!)
-snacks for you and baby

I don't really worry too much about disinfecting things, but baby wipes are great for clean ups. Also, here's the TSA link about carrying breastmilk or formula or baby food with you, in case you plan to do so: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#7 of 11 Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

- Nurse or bottle-feed on take-off and landing but make sure the plane is ready to take off because sometimes they make you sit out there for ages!

- Bring a nursing cover or blanket to cover up because you're in such close proximity to other travelers and you don't want anyone feeling uncomfortable (I normally don't cover up but was grateful to have done so on the plane)

- Lower your expectations... I had never exposed my baby to TV (we don't even have one at home) but when he seemed transfixed by the monitor in front of our airplane seat, I let him look at it for a few minutes while I took a much-needed "time out".

- Board the plane towards the end so you spend as little time as possible cooped up on the plane, and get an aisle seat (just be careful of baby's arms and legs when the beverage cart rolls by).

HTH!

Happy housewife and mom to big Z, born at home 1/2012. m/c 07/14 @ 5w and happy to get back to trying!  
#8 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 10:07 PM

I found that even when my baby cried on the plane, almost no one heard it because most everyone had headphones on and the noise of the engines really drowns everything out.  So, don't be too nervous about a crying baby disturbing other travelers.

She really only cried during one descent.  

Nurse nurse nurse!  (Or use a paci.)

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#9 of 11 Old 06-14-2012, 09:12 PM

As an ex flight attendant, and world traveller with two DDs, this is my advice:
Is the baby a lap child on this flight? Even if they are, if you're planning on checking a car seat ask about the loads when you check in. If the flight isn't full, usually they can switch you to two seats together and the baby can possibly ride in the cars eat next to you for "free"! Even if they only sit in it for two minutes, hey it's extra space! (and a good ledge to lean on while nursing!)
It's worth a shot!
Many babies who do well in the car will doze easily as soon as takeoff begins. Also, if the seatbelt sign is off, take a few trips to the lav for diaper changes. Hey it's something to do! Keeps them entertained and everyone does well with a stretch of the legs!
Setback cards provide half an hour of fun smile.gif nursing galore, funny faces etc.
But seriously, even if they're not big Nappers on land the sky usually helps. And if you bring the sling remember that they can't be in it for take off and landing (FAA thing)
Have fun!

Me and DH and DD (2) and expecting #2 11/27!!!!! thumb.gif
#10 of 11 Old 06-15-2012, 03:37 PM

Here's my one added piece of advice: bring LOTS of diapers & a change of clothes for each leg of the flight. I have travelled a ton with my kids, and IDK if it's the altitude or what, but ALL of the worst blow-outs we have had have been on flights! I also carry empty zip-lock bags for the poopy clothes - I once threw away a pair of DS1's pants because yeah, it was really THAT bad, and I had nothing to put them in. the ziplocks have been a staple ever since :)

Jen - Partner to Joe, Craig, & Jordan grouphug.gif, mama to DS1 (7/13/99), DS2 (10/27/01), and DS3 (6/13/06), and DS4 born 12/13/12! Attachment Parent, co-sleeper, baby-wearer, Sudbury School founder & educator, PhD Candidate doing birth research, cloth diaper lover, GF (again), etc!novaxnocirc.gif

#11 of 11 Old 06-23-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorimama1 View Post

- Nurse or bottle-feed on take-off and landing but make sure the plane is ready to take off because sometimes they make you sit out there for ages!

- Bring a nursing cover or blanket to cover up because you're in such close proximity to other travelers and you don't want anyone feeling uncomfortable (I normally don't cover up but was grateful to have done so on the plane)

- Lower your expectations... I had never exposed my baby to TV (we don't even have one at home) but when he seemed transfixed by the monitor in front of our airplane seat, I let him look at it for a few minutes while I took a much-needed "time out".

- Board the plane towards the end so you spend as little time as possible cooped up on the plane, and get an aisle seat (just be careful of baby's arms and legs when the beverage cart rolls by).

HTH!

I second the "lower your expectations" !!! My baby was almost 8mo on his first plane trip and I gave some food and stuff that I normally wouldn't have ( like mashed potatoes from airport restaraunts( I can NEVER spell that  word correctly!!!)

Another piece of advice that I didn't see on any PP was buy those baby food pouches, they are super easy and you can just squeeze them into baby's mouth and not have to worry about spoons or even bibs if you are really careful.. but bring PLENTY of them... You want to make sure you have plenty of food for baby to eat, even if sometimes it is just to give him something to do, (letting him eat to counteract boredom this one time will not set him up for bad eating habits)

also, when in doubt nurse!

Wife to DH superhero.gif, Tandem Nursing SAHMfly-by-nursing2.gif to  diaper.gifDS1 9/2011 and babyboy.gif DS2 9/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page