My son arches CONSTANTLY - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my son is 7 months old.. he goes to physical therapy 2 times a week. he CONSTANTLY arches his back and we cant get him to do anything. He hasnt learned how to sit up yet or crawl or even roll over all the time yet(almost). Its because he is always arching. As soon as you put him in a sitting position he aches back and crys. even if your sitting behind him its like he wants you to hold him up like he wants you to support him. His therapist says he has too much "extention" but she doesnt know what could be causing this arching.

Any ideas?

BTW he has done this since birth. and no he does not like the craddle position.Thanks guys.

#2 of 7 Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Has he been evaluated by an occupational therapist as well?  Is he in PT for gross motor delays?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 7 Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

nope.. he is in PT for Torticollis. Which I guess alters his Motor skills yes.He also is going to be seeing a OMT as well... but they don't think that his arching is related to his neck or head issues.... they were thinking maybe its NEURO?

I was looking on-line and saw a few places said reflux issues, and some places said sensory or food in-tolerances...others said to take him to a Chiropractor.??

#4 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsouljhagurl View Post

nope.. he is in PT for Torticollis. Which I guess alters his Motor skills yes.He also is going to be seeing a OMT as well... but they don't think that his arching is related to his neck or head issues.... they were thinking maybe its NEURO?

I was looking on-line and saw a few places said reflux issues, and some places said sensory or food in-tolerances...others said to take him to a Chiropractor.??

I think any of those would be worth exploring, honestly, until you find answers.  It is definitely one of the early symptoms for Sensory Processing Disorder.

Does he have other symptoms of reflux or food intolerances?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 05:07 PM

My son has been arching his back for months. He is 5 1/2 months now. I get concerned at times that it could be something wrong but I don't have any real signs yet and he is still developing fine and within the normal range so I'm trying to just give him time. He isn't close to sitting yet, and only rolls from his back to tummy. It is normal for babies to start supporting themselves in a seated position from 6-8 months... So he's still in the normal range.. It's ok if he hasn't started sitting or crawling yet. 

I've looked a few times online to see if this is a sign of anything but haven't really found anything helpful. He doesn't cry when he does it, and it's not a fit. He mostly just doesn't like being propped up but his muscles are still growing. He is in the 98% for height and weight so he has a lot more muscle to control..

#6 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 PM

I was just trying to tell myself that my DDs back-arching was normal, and here I go and find this thread!

I vote taking him to the chiro.  My ds2 is going next week for something else, but I am squeezing DD in there the week after that.  

Hope you figure out why he is doing this...

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#7 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 12:42 AM

my son does this a lot. He can sit and roll over both ways.but if he is uncomfortable or over tires or rolled over on a toy he wil arch his back constantly. I would try the chiro. I would think neck issues could be a contributor to it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page