9 mo wakes nearly every hour still?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2012, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9 mo dd wakes nearly every hour at night and will only go back to sleep nursing. A few ideas if any mama can help me sort through and figure out a solutions that'd be incredible!
Here are the issues:
1 She has eczema, could she be waking up because she is itchy?
2 She is still EBF. Is she hungry? Should I feed her solids? I'm somewhat afraid to try because of her eczema.
3 she sleeps swaddled so her arms can't move (so she doesn't scratch her face), is that why? It wasn't an issue before.
4 recently she has only napped well in her carseat, otherwise she wakes up. Is she used to it?

I swear, lately her oattern has been that i nurse her to sleep and then within twenty mins shes uo again, and then within the hour, up again, and then at some point nearly every hour she is up for the rest of the night. Sometimes I get a two MAYBE two and a half hour stretch, but I think that's the most .

What could it be? What should I do? Does she need to eat more! She doesn't nurse a ton during the day. Maybe every couple hours, and they are very short feeds.

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 AM

I can't help with eczema but I have a couple of other ideas.
About EBF, solids might or might not help but if you're comfortable with it, they may be worth a try. Maybe your dr could recommend good solids that are not likely to irritate baby. If you are going to try them, at nine months she could definitely handle small chunks of soft foods instead of purees. BM digests very quickly so having something else in her tummy *may* help her sleep longer stretches. Maybe. The other option is to encourage her to cluster feed in the evening so she gets a nice big dose of rich hind milk. That may also help her sleep longer at least at the start of the night.

With the swaddling, did the temperature go up significantly in your area recently? We had a big heat wave and the only way DD could sleep well was naked (except diaper) with not even the thinnest receiving blanket on her. If it did get hot recently then the swaddling may be uncomfortably warm. Also, she may like sleeping on her tummy now that she is older and the swaddle may be forcing her to sleep in a position she doesn't want. Maybe, maybe not. Just an idea.

And the carseat nap. We went through that phase too. It turned out that her room wasn't dark enough and that she needed a naptime routine: clean diaper, a story, then nursing while singing a lullaby. Same routine as bedtime except there is no bath.

One more thought: could she be overtired? DD always has the worst nights when she is exhausted from a short or nonexistent nap or if we are late with bedtime. I would try two things: get naptime routine reestablished and if that's not enough, try to move up bedtime (maybe 15 or 30 mins).

I hope you find something that helps. Hugs
Old 06-11-2012, 04:27 PM

If it's any help, you're not alone. Most toddlers with eczema will keep waking because of the itching and will scratch themselves even while they're asleep. Eczema can be totaly disruptive, not only on the toddler sufering, but everyone in the family.  However there is a solution that is so easy - DermaSilk clothing. Check this story from someone in exactly the same situation as you.  Jasmine was probably even worse than your DD, but mum found a solution that changed their lives.

http://esperehealth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/its-new-life-for-florence.html

DermaSilk is a range of therapeutic clothing made from medical grade silk and is approved for use on prescription under the NHS in the UK. Dermatologists are now using it more and more to treat severe cases of eczema, so it's worth checking out on www.dermasilk.co.uk. If you can't get it in the US, then I believe you can order from the UK site

Old 07-21-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. I've incorporated some into our routine, and even picked up the dermasilk mask for her itchy face and, although the mask has helped with the eczema a bit, she still wakes up to nurse. I don't leave the house once she sleeps, even if my mom AND dh can watch her because I'm the only one that can get her back down by nursing. Cluster feeding didn't seem to help much either. We arr very slowly introducing solids. Not sure yet if it will help. greensad.gif

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 AM

My 11 month old wakes often, also. Sometimes she goes back to sleep for my dh when he rocks her, but she often wakes back up an hour or so later to nurse. I recently started doing the Pantley Gentle Removal (or Pantley Pull-Off) with her and it SEEMS to be working. She slept one 5 hour stretch 2 nights ago, then a 3 and a 4 hour stretch last night. It could be a fluke, she's good at fooling me into thinking improvements have been made! Anyhow, I suggest reading No Cry Sleep Solution. She has some great tips! Good Luck!!

User Tag List