Want to Start my 9 mo. old on Milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

I am desperate to start my 9 month old on regular milk, weather it be goat or cow.

My milk never came in, so she has been on formula her whole life.  DR. said NO whole milk until 1 year, but when I asked why, she couldn't really give me a fair reason. She said because of iron, but I make my daughters food and she daily has pureed spinach in her diet. I asked if we could check her iron count and we did, her iron levels are above average and Dr. was pleased.  Still the Dr. said, no whole milk.

I've been doing some research as I am not a fan of formula and want to know if any Moms out there have started their babies on goat or cow whole milk at 9 months.  If not, what are the risks, if so how did it go ?

Thank you so much for any help!

~ Whit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
My understanding - and why i held off on introducing milk products until after 1 year - was due to potential allergies? Since both my husband and I have slight reactions to dairy (he gets stuffy, i get worsened asthma) we felt like that was a good plan.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Why do you think whole cows (or goats) milk would be better than formula?

#4 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 03:56 PM

Why not just make your own formula? IMO I would do home made formula until at least 2 y/o....

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Before the age of one children should get the bulk of their nutrients from breast milk or formula. My concern with giving cow or goats mill is that your baby would miss out on essential nutrients. A small amount isnt likely to be a problem, if you wanted to use it on cereal or something, but I wouldn't replace the formula before a year.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM

I would be giving formula for at least the first year or 18 months but probably until 2.  There are only disadvantages of giving milk.

Whole milk doesn't have enough fat for the baby.  

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#7 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 05:20 PM

Simple explanation from the AAP:

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/pages/Why-Formula-Instead-of-Cows-Milk.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR:+No+local+token

Quote:
Many parents ask why they can’t just feed their baby regular cow’s milk. The answer is simple: Young infants cannot digest cow’s milk as completely or easily as they digest formula. Also, cow’s milk contains high concentrations of protein and minerals, which can stress a newborn’s immature kidneys and cause severe illness at times of heat stress, fever, or diarrhea. In addition, cow’s milk lacks the proper amounts of iron, vitamin C, and other nutrients that infants need. It may even cause iron-deficiency anemia in some babies, since cow’s milk protein can irritate the lining of the stomach and intestine, leading to loss of blood into the stools. Cow’s milk also does not contain the healthiest types of fat for growing babies. For these reasons, your baby should not receive any regular cow’s milk for the first twelve months of life.

#8 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Here is some info from Weston A. Price.  http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/recipes-for-homemade-baby-formula

If you were to go for milk instead of formula, I would at least look into raw.  I would personally never switch out formula for processed milk.

#9 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Milk doesn't meet their needs until a year at the minimum. I know formula isn't ideal, but that doesn't mean milk is preferable. Can you find an organic formula?
#10 of 20 Old 06-19-2012, 02:46 AM

Formula is designed to provide adequate nutrients for a human baby for the first 12 months of life when breast milk isn't available. Goat or cow milk is designed for a baby grazing animal. Humans need a lot of specific fats as babies to ensure proper brain development. Goats and cows need to develop strong muscles to keep up with the herd. Different needs, different nutrients. Wait until one year of age to make sure baby doesn't miss out on needed nutrients and grows to his/her best potential. Why are you on such a hurry to switch?
Youngfrankenstein likes this.
#11 of 20 Old 06-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Ahh thanks for this thread.. I was just thinking the same thing the other day.  :)

Life is either a great adventure, or nothing.  -Hellen Keller 

#12 of 20 Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 AM

I'm disappointed in how many of you aren't offering any suggestions or help, but just saying "Don't do it!". Clearly something about formula is bothering this mama and she wants an alternative.  Here is another recipe for making your own "formula" from raw goat's milk. 

To the OP, I would feel exactly the same way as you and would be looking into other avenues.  Don't feel guilty for wanting to get away from formula.

http://foodforkidshealth.com/making-home-made-infant-formula-for-babies-sensitive-to-dairy-formula/

#13 of 20 Old 06-20-2012, 07:32 AM

I don't know of any alternatives that come recommended by medical professionals, that's why I haven't offered any. Donor breastmilk is an option but out of the price range of most moms unless you are able to take it unprocessed from a trusted source (like a lactating family member or close friend).

OP said she wasn't a fan of formula but didn't sound overly upset. OP has used it for 9 months and I wanted to caution her against replacing formula as the main source of nutrients with unaltered animal milk. Some people (I'm NOT at all saying OP is one) are eager to move on to milk since it is less expensive. I'm not a fan of formula either: it's expensive, inconvenient, and some types stain clothing. While I EPd before I could get DD back to breast, I did use it though to make up any shortfall. Why? Because I felt safer doing so than trying to make something myself. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying I wouldn't. I wouldn't recommend something that I wouldn't use myself, that's all. I'm sorry you find that disappointing.
#14 of 20 Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCindy View Post

I'm disappointed in how many of you aren't offering any suggestions or help, but just saying "Don't do it!". Clearly something about formula is bothering this mama and she wants an alternative.  Here is another recipe for making your own "formula" from raw goat's milk. 

To the OP, I would feel exactly the same way as you and would be looking into other avenues.  Don't feel guilty for wanting to get away from formula.

http://foodforkidshealth.com/making-home-made-infant-formula-for-babies-sensitive-to-dairy-formula/

Many of us feel that there are no safe, healthy alternatives.  

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#15 of 20 Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I don't know of any alternatives either. :(

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#16 of 20 Old 06-20-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCindy View Post

And I'm disappointed that you would think it's sound advice to feed your baby raw poultry. Or even raw milk for that matter. Really? That's preferable to formula?

OP, formula isn't the optimal choice, breast milk is. But you do not have that option, and with that in mind, formula would indeed be your best choice here. Find an organic one if it makes you rest easier, but as others have pointed out, offer what your baby needs, not what you think makes more (ethical, financial...) sense.

#17 of 20 Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 PM

What about donor milk?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#18 of 20 Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 PM

http://www.hm4hb.net/   ?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#19 of 20 Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think sometimes, in our efforts to promote breastfeeding, we make formula sound worse than it is, and we upset moms who have to use it. I responded because that might be what is happening here. Formula is not ideal, but it does mean a baby's needs, and milk does not. I think it's important to be real and share how we really feel. I truly feel giving babies under 1 something other than breastmilk or formula is unwise and unhealthy.
hildare likes this.
#20 of 20 Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 AM

yes, chiming in to say that formula is not poison.  it's not.  and it is much more closely formulated to be digestible for your baby than the milk of other mammals.  it will meet the nutritional requirements for your baby. that being said, i am a big supporter of donor milk.  there are local groups on facebook to help you find someone if you're interested in looking at trying that instead. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page