Is what we're doing with my baby ok? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4 month old is very particular.  He is a high-needs baby and likes everything just so.  Well in the morning, my husband will take the baby and play with him, allowing me to get extra sleep, clean or exercise.  He brings the baby back to me every 2 hours for a feeding, then he will take the baby away again, for a total of around 4 hours.  The thing is, after the baby gets played with for a little while by my husband, he starts to get very fussy and almost like he is just not happy with anything my husband does.  So my husband resorts to sitting on an exercise ball while holding the baby in his arms, and bounces him.  My son seems to love this...seems to really calm him.  The thing is that my husband will do this for 1-2 hours at a time, sometimes. 

I want to know if this is ok.  My son is meeting his developmental milestones...but for some reason I feel guilty when I see my husband bouncing the baby for so long so often...even if my son seems to like it. 

Am I just worrying about nothing? 

For the record, I hardly ever bounce on the ball with him, I do other things to entertain the baby.

Mama to two beautiful children

Boy, born 2/24/12
Girl, born 8/17/14
#2 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM

He's fine.  What a great husband you have!  I personally have a dh that would do that for me, but I don't know many women who do.  

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#3 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

At 4 months that sounds utterly normal. And yay for your husband for having the tools to find something that calms the baby! :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the feedback! I guess I was worried that the baby was being bounced so much...but he seriously loves it! Good to know it's normal smile.gif

Boy, born 2/24/12
Girl, born 8/17/14
#5 of 14 Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

My daughter like to be rocked - a lot. So I understand wondering if it is a good thing or not. :)  It changes so fast though, in two weeks something else will keep baby calm. :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#6 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How nice to have such a helpful husband! 

Does your LO take a morning nap? My 5 month old always needs to go back to sleep between 1 - 2 hours after his first rise. He starts yawning, looking dull, and will then get fussy if he is not given an opportunity to sleep.

Just thought it was worth a mention. If what you are doing is working for your family, then it seems fine to me!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#7 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 AM

agree with PP - is the baby napping at all in that 4 hours? at that age that is a really long time to go without sleeping, especially after waking up in the morning. usually their first nap is pretty soon after waking, kind of like extended sleep. that may be why he is getting fussy. My DH takes DS first thing in the morning too, and it absolutely saves me. the days that he can't because of work, i am tiiiired. 

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

#8 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, he usually takes about 2 naps in the 4 hours...when daddy starts to bounce the baby on the exercise ball, the baby will just drift asleep.  I wonder if that's why he loves the bouncing so much?  It seems to help him relax. 

We had a swing at one point, which he hated.  He just prefers the bouncing motion I guess!

I'm pretty relieved to hear it's okay that he's bounced so much...I just want my little guy to be happy.  If bouncing makes him happy, then so be it!  :) 

I don't know what's normal for a 4 month old so all your responses are very helpful, thank you!

Boy, born 2/24/12
Girl, born 8/17/14
#9 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 AM

my daughter was bounced to sleep for naps and bedtime at that age (and before and after). now at 8 months i rarely bounce her anymore, but occasionally she needs it.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#10 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 PM

I think it's totally fine. At 4 months, my daughter used a Johnny Jump up, so she was bouncing herself way harder than we'd every bounce her on the birth ball.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#11 of 14 Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 AM

My DH always takes the baby in the morning and it is WONDERFUL! He has also had to help more at night since we are trying to get DS into his own bed and semi night wean because I am due with baby #2 in Sept. Helpful husbands are the greatest!!

My baby is not really high needs personality but one thing he really liked at a young age was being in the sling while I loaded the dishwasher.. It ALWAYS put him to sleep. That being said, as long as the bouncing works I say keep on with it! Your DH is obviously not bouncing him too rough or anything.. I always think it is so weird when people freak out over bouncing or jiggling a little baby...

Wife to DH superhero.gif, Tandem Nursing SAHMfly-by-nursing2.gif to  diaper.gifDS1 9/2011 and babyboy.gif DS2 9/2012

#12 of 14 Old 06-23-2012, 11:26 AM

Sounds fine to me, and your DH sounds awesome :)

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#13 of 14 Old 06-24-2012, 11:58 AM

My husband bounced the baby so much, the ball actually popped at one point. Thankfully he has excellent reflexes and they were both fine. ;)  So obviously, I think this is totally normal. My littlest (who is now nearly 9 mos) LOVED having his Daddy bounce him. He never liked it when I did it. He outgrew it by around 5 mos or so.

#14 of 14 Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 PM

I've bounced 3 of my 4 babies on balls, they are all normal!!  I still bounce my 2 year old to go to sleep for naps.  He still loves it.  The big kids like me to bounce them too, just for fun (it's not easy with an 8 year old on your lap, lol). As long as it's a gentle bounce for a small baby, there is no harm that I can see.

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page