AP sleep consultant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone here used a attachment parenting friendly sleep consultant?

Our little guy is waking up frequently and we are very tired. We would love to talk through his sleep with someone who knows a lot about infant sleep. I know that most sleep consultants believe crying has to be part of the deal, but googling just now it looks like there are a few (this one, for example) who might be able to help with no-cry solutions. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 07:10 AM

Sorry you are feeling worn down and tired.  I know how hard it is!

That said, I would be wary of any sleep consultants.  In my experience (with DD1 who could still win an award for worlds worst sleeper-- at 4 1/4 she has yet to sleep longer than 5 hours in a stretch and routinely woke up every 45 min - 1 1/2 hours every night until she was 2... and I could go on...) finding solutions for improving your families sleep is based on intimate knowledge of your child and your family.  I don't see how a sleep consultant can have enough knowledge to do anything other than give you the same set of tips available in a good book; especially if s/he is only doing the consultation by skype!   And, they are so expensive! 

In terms of getting some tips, I found Dr. Sears'  _The Baby Sleep Book_ had some good advice. 

But I also remember the profound desperation I felt with DD1 (DD2 happily sleeps 2-3 hours at a time.... under the right conditions).  And, I definitely considered trying to find a sleep consultant; I just couldn't get over my skepticism.  I'm curious to hear if others have used one and if s/he was actually AP friendly?

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Parsley,

Thanks for your response. It's good to hear about your experience.

I agree that in general sleep consultants are not very AP friendly. I guess I just wish that there were someone else (who was possibly not quite as tired as we are) who could look at our baby's sleep patterns and give us some advice. But you're probably right that it would be hard for them to have enough information to give advice that would be specifically useful to our family.

I should check out the Sears sleep book. Thanks for the suggestion!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM

What about hiring an experienced babysitter to come at night for a few weeks to help?  Giving advice and also giving you a little more time to sleep?   I don't know the logistics of it but seems like a possilbe solution.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 06-26-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

That's an interesting option to consider. Thanks!

Old 07-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsley View Post

What about hiring an experienced babysitter to come at night for a few weeks to help?  Giving advice and also giving you a little more time to sleep?   I don't know the logistics of it but seems like a possilbe solution.

I think a Postpartum Doula could help the most for you. Granted most doulas come soon after the birth and don't do long term care, BUT a lot of doulas would be more than willing to help and have very valuable knowledge thats more AP friendly. I would contact a few from doulamatch.net and see if they could help you.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

That's a great suggestion, Kaydove. Thanks!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Just a thought... the "No Cry Sleep Solution" and "Sleepless in America" were LIFE CHANGING for me when my DD was very young.  I don't know if you've read any books but if it were me that is where I would start!

I hope that you can manage some rest soon, I know just how hard it can be!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jewels! I've found The No-Cry Sleep Solution somewhat useful, but I've never read Sleepless in America. I'll have to check it out!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM

I am a No-Cry Sleep Consultant and pediatric RN, and have had a lot of success working with parents for their children's sleep issues.  I am also an attachment parent to my 18 month old daughter.  I have many different package options for local or long distance consults.  Check out my website at www.babymuse.org 

Good luck with whatever method you choose!  ~Katie Williams RN, BSN

User Tag List