10 month old, ebf, no solids lost weight - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has been a little chubster always. At 9 months old he was 27inches short and 23lbs heavy. However, since 6 months, he barely gained. He was 21.6lbs then.

At 9 1/2 months he started crawling fully, and ever since he has been CRAZY. He won't sit still one second, he just speed crawls, rocks and bounces all over the place.

Our nursing sessions have been filled with distractions, often he will want to nurse in weird positions, or he latches on for 20 seconds just to crawl off, roll over (he is also teething again)

I'm not used to this, he used to be in my arms 24/7, no floor time prior to crawling.

Long story short, he lost 1lbs. I think he might continue to lose weight because of reasons above.

His 10 month check up is coming up and I worry. Someone has said that 1lbs is a little much, even if he is very active and that with her son once he started crawling she had to start pumping because he would not nurse well from the breast, and this will happen for my lo too (this confuses me a bit).

He does not want solids yet, but I was not concerned because I was told up to two years they can live of bm if needed.

Should I worry? Any advice? 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#2 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 AM

I wouldn't worry just yet. He's still a bit of a chubster, and the CDC estimates weight gain to be about 1-2 lbs for the first 6 months and 1 lb/month after that. Since he gained weight so rapidly in his first 6 months, he certainly doesn't need to keep up that pace indefinitely! smile.gif I would keep introducing solids, not so much for the nutrition at this point but more for the experience and exposure to different tastes and textures, but otherwise I think you're doing just fine.

BTW, I never took my kiddos in for a 10-month appt, especially if they had a 9-month appt! You can always go for a weight check if you want to, but otherwise you could probably wait until 1 yr. smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

I wouldn't worry just yet. He's still a bit of a chubster, and the CDC estimates weight gain to be about 1-2 lbs for the first 6 months and 1 lb/month after that. Since he gained weight so rapidly in his first 6 months, he certainly doesn't need to keep up that pace indefinitely! smile.gif I would keep introducing solids, not so much for the nutrition at this point but more for the experience and exposure to different tastes and textures, but otherwise I think you're doing just fine.
BTW, I never took my kiddos in for a 10-month appt, especially if they had a 9-month appt! You can always go for a weight check if you want to, but otherwise you could probably wait until 1 yr. smile.gif

Thank you! That is reassuring.

He did gain weight and grew rapidly when he was under 6 months of age. But he also barely grew in height since then so I guess it makes sense.

We keep letting him experience solid foods, but he still has a very strong gagging reflex and it seems no real pincer grasp yet (he uses his index finger only to touch foods). We are taking it really slow with tiny bits, like recently he tried shredded lettuce.

His last check up was at 6 months, the next required check up is around 9-10 months in Germany, so that is why I feel we need to go soon redface.gif

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#4 of 5 Old 07-09-2012, 12:10 PM

My little guy hasn't gained any weight in the last three months (he's 9 and a half mos. now). In between his six and nine month check-ups his height spiked but his weight stayed the same because he started crawling like crazy. He gained quite a bit in his first six months though... going from almost 10lbs to 20lbs so his doctor wasn't worried. And he IS eating solids... so I wouldn't worry. It seems normal to me. There have been studies I've read that say that breastfed babes gain more in the first six months and level out afterward, while formula fed babes gain more in the second six months to catch up... 

Moo.

#5 of 5 Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM

This sounds JUST like my son. Hes 11 months old now. :) still mostly BF except for when he get solids to PLAY with b/c I do blw ... so he rarely eats the solids... but yeah. That sounds normal to me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page