OMG going crazy. I want to be an attached mother, but this boy is driving me NUTS ... I cannot make a freaking PHONE call without him crying. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He is soooo needy. I understand. He's a baby, he's almost 11 months old and needs me. I love it. But sometimes I need 5 MINUTES to myself.

What should I do? I have nobody to call and help me.

Would it be so bad if I get one of those jumperoos for the doorway????

I feel like I might go insane. He's holding on to my leg and crying right now that I'm online.

I have set up everything like montessori and waldorf. He has lots to do. He just does not want to go down by himself.

:( :( I am so lost and feeling very overwhelmed. It just building and building. I don't have a sitter and I really cannot call anyone. My husband works long hours. Help me please.

I keep thinking that the busy centers and door jumpers are anti attachment parenting.

#2 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 AM

I understand your frustration! Do you wear him on your back? I couldn't survive the baby stage if I didn't have that tool! And if you only have one kid, with the baby on your back you can go about your business like there aren't even kids there!

(Of course not all babies like this and not all parents can do it, but most!)

I don't see why a jumperoo is anti-AP? Unless of course you're leaving him in it for hours and he doesn't want to be there or something. If he's into it, why not?
#3 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 AM

I'm not an expert on attachment parenting but I think that the biggest thing is responding to baby when he needs you. If he is happy and busy in an exersaucer for 15 minutes, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If he hates it then absolutely you wouldn't leave him in there but I don't think it would hurt to try. Even if these things are anti AP, I still don't think it's a bad thing to use them sparingly when you need a break if he enjoys them. I honestly think the biggest thing that is anti AP is CIO methods and you obviously aren't doing that. If you find something he likes that gives you a quick break and lets you happily AP the other 90% of the time, I would absolutely use it. Not having help with a soon to be toddler puts you in a difficult place and making a couple of small compromises isn't the end of the world. Us moms are great at feeling guilty but not at taking care of ourselves.

For what it's worth, I don't cosleep or babywear but I do BF my 15 month old on demand all day and night. We tried CIO (for 5 minutes one night) and I use a stroller (when she's willing). I used sposies until about 12 months but CD full time now. There are days here and there where I know my parenting isn't 100% up to my expectations. Those are usually the days I'm too run down, tired, and frustrated to have the patience for my very active toddler. I am always a better parent when I've had a few minutes to myself to regroup. Take any opportunity you get to take care of yourself. It will help you be the best mom you can be :-).

Ok sorry for being long winded and disjointed but I was interrupted about half a dozen times by said active toddler :-)
#4 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM

Don't worry so much about living up to the ideal of a label.  You're not in a cult, after all!  AP is just one group of ideas about a way to parent, and not a guarantee to being a perfect mother or having a perfect child.  My kids had bouncy seats and chairs and jumperoos and play pens and toys with batteries and they still knew that I would respond to them when they needed me.  My 2nd child was very needy like that, too, and anything I could do to get 5-15 minutes to myself, I did, and still do, in fact she ate Lucky Charms AND watched TV this morning and yet I think she will forgive me when she is an adult and I tell her I really did the best I could without going completely insane.  ;)

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#5 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

It would not be so bad if you got one of those jumperoos for the doorway.  Or whatever kind of bouncer or activity center you can find in stock at Target today.

If you are going to respond positively and consistently to your child, you need some time to recharge now and then.  Time to make a sandwich, or pee by yourself with the door closed.  If a bouncer or an activity center gets you those minutes, it is nothing but awesome.  Pick up spare batteries while you're there.

I used to be opposed to these things.  Then my MIL showed up with an activity table for DD, and I got to make a whole entire loaf of bread with no "help" from toddlers.  The Farmer in the Dell was playing in the background the entire time, but I didn't care.  It was blissful.  Please note that it did not in any way change my children's needs.  Prior to the arrival of this thing, I had been the only interactive toy in the room.

Ten months is a little young for independent play in Waldorf and Montessori set ups. 

#6 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 09:38 AM

if the baby is happy, that is a good thing! if toys make him happy go for it. we have the typical walmat exersaucer, swing, bouncy seat and the baby mostly likes the exersaucer. i also have put babies in the high chair and gave them whatever made them happy so that i could do things.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#7 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM

Oh mama! I know how you feel... as a part-time WAHM, full-time student, and solo parent, I get it. It sucks sometimes when all you want is a freakin' shower and it hasn't happened in three days. I often feel like I'm going to lose it, and only a few of my IRL mama friends are in the same boat... and even those have a relative at home full-time to help out. I use the following mantra in times of extreme stress: This too shall pass... and I try to ignore people who tell me that someday I will miss this stage. Yes, someday I will miss him being so little, but only the times when he was sleeping peacefully... I will NOT miss never showering, nor anything else that's tough about this time. I have no "advice" to help you get through it... only the message that you are not alone in your temporary insanity... just remember that the key word there is "temporary". hug2.gif

By the way... I just got a handful of "runny nose" in my eye... yeah... not going to miss that.

Moo.

#8 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artekah View Post

I understand your frustration! Do you wear him on your back? I couldn't survive the baby stage if I didn't have that tool! And if you only have one kid, with the baby on your back you can go about your business like there aren't even kids there!
(Of course not all babies like this and not all parents can do it, but most!)
I don't see why a jumperoo is anti-AP? Unless of course you're leaving him in it for hours and he doesn't want to be there or something. If he's into it, why not?

Yes, I do wear him on my back!!! Most of the day he is spent wearing him ... like today :D

I haven't tried a jumperoo!!!! Maybe I'll try it. I just am so "anti-device" ... but in our culture we dont have a village to help take care of our babies ... so I guess its not so bad. Now that I have a more clear mind - this evening **was about to breakdown early morning** I can just relax. :) ... and he's asleep!! woo hoo

#9 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

It would not be so bad if you got one of those jumperoos for the doorway.  Or whatever kind of bouncer or activity center you can find in stock at Target today.

If you are going to respond positively and consistently to your child, you need some time to recharge now and then.  Time to make a sandwich, or pee by yourself with the door closed.  If a bouncer or an activity center gets you those minutes, it is nothing but awesome.  Pick up spare batteries while you're there.

I used to be opposed to these things.  Then my MIL showed up with an activity table for DD, and I got to make a whole entire loaf of bread with no "help" from toddlers.  The Farmer in the Dell was playing in the background the entire time, but I didn't care.  It was blissful.  Please note that it did not in any way change my children's needs.  Prior to the arrival of this thing, I had been the only interactive toy in the room.

Ten months is a little young for independent play in Waldorf and Montessori set ups. 

Wooo this made me feel way better. I didn't get anything today. I was very busy and wore him all day long. But tomorrow is another day and I am positive I will go buy something ... maybe an activity table like you said b/c he's crawling and pulling up ... so maybe an exersaucer you sit in isn't the right thing ... hmmm. He got one at xmas time and I gave it away. DARN! lol.

I would LOVE to just go take a nice long shower with HOT water ... not just a little warm with baby playing on the shower floor :D and than screaming because I put him down on the floor to dry off so I am dripping all the way to the bed so I can quickly nurse him ... b/c he must have boobs after a bath or shower ALWAYS. lol.

I realize it's young for independent play. I just wonder what do people DO!!!!

and I am also his only interactive toy! He actually doesn't like things that light up and make noise, neither do I ... so I wonder if any of the table and exersaucers would make him happy? Hmm...

#10 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 PM

My baby is also super high needs and always attached to me. I use the bouncer so that I can at least eat and drink water. You're right, we should be in villages but since most of us aren't we need to do what we can, don't feel guilty about it.
#11 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

I'm not an expert on attachment parenting but I think that the biggest thing is responding to baby when he needs you. If he is happy and busy in an exersaucer for 15 minutes, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If he hates it then absolutely you wouldn't leave him in there but I don't think it would hurt to try. Even if these things are anti AP, I still don't think it's a bad thing to use them sparingly when you need a break if he enjoys them. I honestly think the biggest thing that is anti AP is CIO methods and you obviously aren't doing that. If you find something he likes that gives you a quick break and lets you happily AP the other 90% of the time, I would absolutely use it. Not having help with a soon to be toddler puts you in a difficult place and making a couple of small compromises isn't the end of the world. Us moms are great at feeling guilty but not at taking care of ourselves.
For what it's worth, I don't cosleep or babywear but I do BF my 15 month old on demand all day and night. We tried CIO (for 5 minutes one night) and I use a stroller (when she's willing). I used sposies until about 12 months but CD full time now. There are days here and there where I know my parenting isn't 100% up to my expectations. Those are usually the days I'm too run down, tired, and frustrated to have the patience for my very active toddler. I am always a better parent when I've had a few minutes to myself to regroup. Take any opportunity you get to take care of yourself. It will help you be the best mom you can be :-).
Ok sorry for being long winded and disjointed but I was interrupted about half a dozen times by said active toddler :-)

Well, my son sleeps with us in our family bed, has since birth, so he is definitely not CIO!! I babywear, and honestly, I wouldn't have survived ( and wouldn't now) without my carriers!!! I plan to use it sparingly, just for when I need that moment to gain back my sanity :D ... and even I will hide it. ESPECIALLY from MIL who tried giving me a car full of battery operated, noisy, overstimulating toys and plastic junk for xmas when he was 4 months old :) back then he just slept all the time in my carrier and I was all miffed she even gave them to me :D ...

I will definitely be a better parent if i could get a moment to myself here and there. So I think I'll look it up on amazon and get it 2 day shipping from my prime membership :)

#12 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM

my son was like this at this age. I think he is too old for an exersaucer....or will be really fast!  I would let him "play" in the stores or at friends and see what amuses him. I started buying toys at this age that would last but still amuse now...like the big lego and little people. Not sure if you buy plastic though?  toddler soft play and the play areas in the mall will start to give you a coffee break really soon, during the day when all the bigger kids are at school. The next 6 months will bring so many changes...from a baby to a toddler. I found that easier. I know that doesn't help today.

selectivevax.gifbfolderchild.gifdelayedvax.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifnocirc.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gifsurf.gif     t.v. free  

Living happily on a little island in the sun
#13 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Didn't read all of the posts so I apologize if I'm repeating something already said.  Don't forget that one of the main points of AP is balance.  If you don't take care of yourself you won't be able to take care of your baby.  If a jumperoo or busy center gives you 15 minutes of mommy time so that you can have better quality time with your child afterwards then I don't see how there's anything anti-AP about it.

#14 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 PM

If battery operated plastic stuff isn't your cup of tea, how about a wooden activity cube? We have this one: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=11685924
DD loves spinning the beads and stuff and in fact it's one of the few things that keeps her on the potty ;-)
This one looks even better, but ours was a gift, so free.
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=11632451
#15 of 26 Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM

My daughter is almost 9 months and she loves her exersaucer. She's almost outgrown it though. I don't think it's anti-AP at all, just depends on how you use those baby "devices". I stick her in it for 5-10 minutes so I can sweep the floor or use a sharp knife or not have someone touching me for five freaking seconds and I talk to her the whole time. When she starts to squawk, out she comes and we change it up again. She's super active and wiggly, loves to stand and jump, and explore things. Lately I can sit on the floor in her mostly baby proofed room and let her dismantle her bookshelf or a crate of clean diapers for a good 15 minutes smile.gif

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#16 of 26 Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 AM

my daughter now uses the exersaucer as something to walk around and around and pull up on and beat her toys on. she rarely sits in it anymore, but it does sit in the middle of the living room for her to play on. she also enjoys plastic light-up toys lol

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#17 of 26 Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 AM

oh lol. this reminds me of when my babe was like a week old, and i broke down and busted out the vibrating/bouncy chair thing my SIL had given me. i had carriers and wore him 24/7 but after a week i needed a safe place to just put him down for a few minutes (and sometimes nap in it!). i almost cried about it (PP hormones!!) but my mom was so nice and lovely and set it put for without breathing a word of ("I thought you said these things are silly and unnecessary?"). 

that wooden activity block that skycheattraffic recommends looks awesome! it looks like a fun toy and it's obnoxious, tacky plastic so it wouldn't look bad in the living room ;)

#18 of 26 Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 AM

AP isn't a checklist, it's meeting your child where they are, WHILE also being kind to yourself, too - figuring out solutions that work for EVERYONE, not just the baby.  I had one regular-level needs baby and one high needs baby.  Both of them used bouncies, saucers, jumperoos; the regular needs one would be in for 30+ minutes easily and happily until I came to get him when I was done with whatever I was doing; the high needs one I could get 5-10 minutes on a good day - but OH those 5-10 minutes after having her strapped to me for hours while trying to wrangle the toddler, and get all the other stuff done.  Those 5-10 minutes a couple times a day were like heaven, and SO needed.  After cosleeping, babywearing, extended nursing....I needed those minutes as much as I needed air.

Please get over the hump that "devices" are evil or anti-AP.  A device is just a device...it's how you *USE* it that is important.  Burning yourself out in 11 months' time is not helping you OR him.  And it's only going to get more intense, not less, as he's talking, playing, getting opinions, etc.  Please set it up now that you are gentle and calm but also FIRM in your need to have *some* kind of time and space to yourself to recharge, even while your child is awake....burnout is NO joke, and will lead to a grumpy, mean mommy which is much worse than a plastic exersaucer, IMO. 

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#19 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 AM

Hi there, Mama! I totally get you when you say that you also need some time to yourself, even for just 5 minutes. I truly believe that you know what's best for your child and at 11 months, I think he might be happy to do some play and exploration. Not to leave him utterly alone, but we can be "present" in so many other ways. ;)  Well, sometimes there's stuff that you'd never thought you'd do (like going to the bathroom with the door unlocked and partially open to keep an eye out!), but hey, whatever works and whatever keeps mama balanced and happy and baby safe and happy too! :)

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

#20 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 PM

Um, if jumperoos are anti-AP then I'm going to get kicked off the mothering website.  Seriously, I didn't ever use mine that much, but there were days when I just needed a cup of tea or I was going to fall to weepy screamy pieces, and guess what?  DD was happy to hang out in the jumperoo for a couple minutes while I had my cup of tea.  She is a very high-needs baby but could usually handle five minutes. 

My DD is 10 months old now and I swear I didn't have a minute to myself till she was 8 months old (and now she's crawling all over the place/pulling up and cruising on everything) so I understand how you're feeling...but I really don't think it's anti-AP to take care of yourself.  AP is about responding to your kids and letting them gradually develop their independence while knowing they can rely on you...not about amusing them every last minute for 18 years.

Now my DD is completely over the jumperoo (she can stand up on her own) but here are some things she will use to occupy herself for a few minutes, in case they help you...obviously, you have to supervise, but you can at least be on the other side of the room catching your breath!

--a plastic buggy thing (like a tiny tot's tricycle)--she pulls herself up on it and pokes at the toy levers, wheels, etc.

--a cabinet that's "hers" stuffed with kitchen utensils and random junk she can chew on

--tupperware and boxes with stuff inside.  Big box with yarn balls inside.  Small box with stickers on the outside that she can reach into and fish for little toys.

--big ol cardboard box (the box the carseat came in was great).  I chopped a window into it with scissors and she would crawl in, crawl out, play peekaboo, etc. for AGES

--big ol cardboard box with hole cut in so she can fish stuff out

--teakettle, especially if there's stuff inside that she can fish out (are you sensing a theme here? :) )

--we store all her toys and books in a couple of cube boxes made of cloth.  If I tip over a box in front of her, she'll usually get a good 5-10 minutes out of pulling things out of the box one by one, examining them and flinging them away.

Basically, my DD is big on anything she can move parts of and/or fish things out of.  Even a pile of laundry will do, provided it's brightly colored and has pictures of stuff on it so she can look at it while flinging things across the room.  Hopefully your DS will be similarly amused, and your sanity will be safe! :)  Best of luck!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#21 of 26 Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 AM

I think the phrase "if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" is so sincerely true. Mamas give of themselves so much each day that we need to take time for ourselves. Babies read your energy, so if you're fried and feeling on edge, than baby might be as well. Taking time for yourself is neccessary. Buy the jumper, floor mat, exersaucer, whatever and pour yourself a cup of coffee. 2nd hand stores are great for this stuff!

I really need to find the missing peices for my exersaucer, they were lost in the move! :(

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#22 of 26 Old 07-17-2012, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Hugs, mama! hug2.gif

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#23 of 26 Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Hang in there! If having a few minutes alone brings you some peace and calmness, do it! EVERYONE needs space, at least a little! I have those freak-out moments too, for different reasons (nap and sleep issues); I think we all do.  Deep breaths, have some tea, listen to some calming music; these things help me sometimes. ((hugs))

#24 of 26 Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Hey, Mama 

I wanted to chime in with others that you need not feel guilty for turning to some of our culture's convenience tools for parenting. I have a suggestion for you that has made my life with gadgets so much better - a toy/gadget swap. I think alot of the "guilt" comes from buying these (often) huge, plastic, expensive things that have such an ridiculously short term use.  Do you have a neighbor or community friend that you can borrow some of these things from? Perhaps even offer a small "rental" fee or exchange some cookies or something? Certainly try second-hand shops too.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#25 of 26 Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 PM

Hi,

I have a super intense, high-needs, screechy baby whom I adore but who also does not want me to do ANYTHING, EVER, except pay attention to him.

The "don't use toys/baby seats as a babysitter" thing is important advice for people who would be tempted to do that. You don't sound like that person.

I love my Ergo, spend most of my time with my son (also 11 months), co-slept with him until a month ago when he decided to sleep better in a Pack N Play, and we're still breastfeeding.  I'm super responsive to his needs.  But let me make this clear:

Without a swing (when he was a newborn) and the Rainforest Jumperoo (5-10 months) I would have LOST MY MIND.  Then I wouldn't have been able to respond to him at all, because I would have been insane.  :)

Those things are popular because babies like them, and I think, do whatever it takes to survive the first year!! 

My son gets bored just hanging out with me, and I finally had to admit that he doesn't WANT me to "wear" him all the time.  He wants other stimulation sometimes. 

Give yourself a break.  Doorway jumper, jumperoo, exersaucer, something that lights up and makes obnoxious noises.  As long as you're not using it as a replacement for playing with you a lot of the time, you're fine.

#26 of 26 Old 08-02-2012, 06:06 AM

Just a quick side note, even if you're babe might outgrow the jumperoo soon, my daughter still fits in hers but at 8 months she more so enjoys to walk around the outside of it and play with all the toys like that. If it gets you 5 minutes, I say it's way worth it! There are loops on our Baby Einstein one that I hang more toys from that she can play with while standing up. We also have one of those activity tables and she likes walking around that, too. It keeps her diverted long enough for quick chores.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page