Sick baby not nursing well - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 7 month old caught a nasty bug - high fever and vomiting.  It started Sunday morning. It's now Tuesday morning, the fever is gone and she hasn't vomited in 24 hours.  However, she still isn't nursing normally. I can get her to nurse at night, when she's half asleep, but during the day she will barely nurse. She seems to fill up decently at night.  My boobs are pretty full during the day.  They go down at night, but are still a bit more full than normal. Will this cause supply issues in the future?  I can pump but it doesn't get as much milk out as if she were to nurse.

I was going to post this in Breastfeeding but the topics there didn't seem to apply.  Thanks..

#2 of 4 Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

You might give it a shot posting this in Breastfeeding as well. :)  The ladies there might have some good input.

I would think that as long as you are nursing on demand, that you should be fine.  Kids naturally go through stages of nursing more and less and supply usually keeps up, and she might really catch up when she feels better.  I hope she feels better soon!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 4 Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 PM

I agree, your supply will probably be just fine, but if you have an opportunity to pump, it certainly wont hurt. FWIW, my DD went through a short nursing strike (3 days) around six months and with zero nursing and pumping four times a day and my supply bounced back no problem. I pumped only about half of what she needed and used my stash for the rest. Keep offering in a low pressure way during the day and Probably your LO will pick nursing right back up in a few days. Mine just abruptly took one of my offers and it was like the strike never happened. Good luck.
#4 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies.  She is indeed better and nursing normally now.  It took about three days, and they were uncomfortable days for me, but my supply doesn't appear to have suffered.  Yay!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page