Fussy Night Period in 6wk old - lasts how long? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my second baby and I'm trying hard to remember how long this midnight fussy period lasts. My memories of the first one are pretty fuzzy ;) I remember there was a big change at 12 weeks/3months but I don't remember if the midnight fussiness ended there.

This baby is almost 7 weeks old and her fussy period is about from 7/8pm to 1am/2am (sometimes it starts earlier). Anyone else remember how long this typically lasts? I have 1 book (healthy sleep habits) that says fussiness peaks at 6weeks or 8 weeks. 8 weeks for a fussier baby - I don't know if this one is a "fussy" baby or not since for the first 3 weeks she was a real angel compared to her big sister at that age ;) 

Last week I started a bath/bedtime routine and we had 2 nights of her sleeping well but then we went right back into the old pattern. Her "night" lasts into the morning (like 9:30am) so I'm thinking of really waking her up with a diaper change and a bit of chatting to her at her usual 6am wakeup where I nurse her and just let her go back to sleep. We are doing ok with this schedule now, but when school starts my husband can't take the fussy shift (which he so often does, thankfully) because he will have to be up early to take kiddo #1 to school. 

I know that this horrible newborn stage doesn't last forever, thankfully. I don't enjoy this stage, they get so much more interesting when they are older!  I swear tho, even knowing this is temporary, I still get bristly at friends who say "you'll get sleep eventually" and "just hang in there". It's really rough and I am prone to depression/anxiety if I don't get enough sleep, which sounds so wimpy but that's just the way it is.

Anyone have any advice for shifting the midnight witching hour fussiness earlier? Or remember how long this lasts roughly? I know every baby is different but in general they often have 'average' stages.

#2 of 3 Old 07-12-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Gar, I just realized I put this as a thread not a post. Can an admin delete this? I'll repost my post as a post. Heh.

#3 of 3 Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Or maybe it is the same thing. Nevermind me, low on sleep ;)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page