Forward or Parent-Facing Stroller - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just bought a mid-size stroller that I really like, but it is forward facing and not convertible. When I read about infants and strollers, it seems like the attachment parenting answer to strollers would be to have infants up to almost 12 months facing parents. Now I am feeling quite guilty about my forward-facing stroller (even though I would like to carry as much as possible). I am thinking that there are a lot of other ways to become attuned to my babe and that I hopefully do not need to worry about buying a stroller that is three times as much money as the one we bought just so babe can face me for the times it is in the stroller, but I would love to hear your opinions about this topic. Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 01:35 PM

We (well, my parents) got one because it was important to us for her to face us--my mom read it helps w/language development, in addition to the social benefits. We got a Bumbleride Flyer for $300 on eBay--it was one of the cheapest reversible strollers I came across in my search.

It got good reviews, but in retrospect I'm not totally sure it was worth the money. It is really, really nice to be able to face her on walks, especially now that she's big enough (14 months) that having her in a front carry in my Babyhawk is not as comfortable for longer periods. However, the stroller itself is kind of a PIA. It's nice--it's comfortable for her--but it's not very maneuverable. At all. It catches on every bump and takes up a lot of space. I feel guilty because it was a gift from my parents, but I think if I were to do it over, I would have gotten something that was easier to handle, like a Baby Jogger City Mini or something else smaller and lighter weight.

Maybe there are other models out there that are better? It is frustrating how few options there are for rear-facing strollers!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#3 of 6 Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 AM

I have the ...  (I'm running to the garage to look now.)  BabyTrend Expedition ELX.  (Good grief.  What a name.)

It converts - their is a seat portion that detaches and can either sit in the stroller facing me or sit in the car as a rear-facing car seat.  Until recently she rode in that seat, facing me (She rides almost every morning, wearing her for our walks was not safe, I felt, due to how hot it is here, and how warm she gets on my skin.) however, recently she started really complaining, so I tried putting her in the forward facing portion of the stroller - and she loves it.  She's 9 1/2 months now, so she seems really far too small for the stroller, but I have the straps tight, and she looks about herself and chatters the whole 2 1/2 mile route we like to take.  The convertible style was a good idea for us.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#4 of 6 Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wore my son as much as possible but there were times when a stroller made more sense. I found one that faces either way and lays all the way back (for sleeping) on Craigslist for $80. It was very useful to me.

That said, for our next child I don't think I'll worry about it. There were big downsides to that stroller (bulky, hubby couldn't figure it out and almost broke it, etc) and I found a stroller I like better overall that only faces forward and lays back. So for the next kiddo I will use that stroller.

If I were in your shoes I'd just stick with the stroller I had already.
#5 of 6 Old 07-13-2012, 09:56 AM

I have the Baby Jogger City Mini GT with the compact pram that clips into the seat - when she's in the pram she faces us, but usually promptly falls asleep so we don't get much face time, lol. I adore my stroller and the pram! The pram has carrying handles and we take it over to friends house or parties, like for a baby shower and 4th of July party, she falls asleep in it really well and I can put it in a corner and she'll nap for hours during a noisey party! The stroller is awesome too, but that pram is worth its weight in gold.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#6 of 6 Old 07-15-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page