Baby Wearing transition? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-18-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I buckled down and bought an Ergo. I feel like it is the most comfortable for me and easy to get baby in. However, I wasn't good about baby wearing when DD was newborn because I had such a hard time getting in and out of the Moby quickly, and she got lost in the sling.
So, now she is 4 months old and will only handle baby wearing for a few minutes and then she cries and cries until I take her out. I live in TX so I wonder if some of it is that she is hot.
I was wondering if anyone else eased their child into baby wearing or if she should just immediately "like" it?
#2 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 PM

My daughter has been through all spectrums of liking/disliking being worn. I'm in FL and it's always hot, so yes that is part of it. My daughter doesn't really like to be skin to skin too much because it's too hot. She fights to not fall asleep and put her face on my chest. But for the most part, she does now like being worn. She's 5.5 months, and I'm still using a moby. She likes to have her arms out. She's gone through phases where she really didn't like it at all, but I don't have a stroller so we just had to get through it, kwim? Just wear her as much as you can both tolerate and know babiesbare always changing.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#3 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I think Ive determined that heat is a huge factor due to some patterns... She loved the wrap as a newborn and then started hating it in May when we became more "on-the-go" and it was hotter. Today she stayed in the carrier from feeding time to nap time (I like that she loves her bed, so I put her to bed for naps most of the time). So, we made it over an hour, completely content.

Can someone tell me the pro's of letting her sleep on me rather than in her bed. I know that I like that she likes her crib so much, but Im curious about benefits of sleeping on mama during the day...it seems like her rest wouldnt be as restful with me up and down and moving around???

#4 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 08:43 AM

my babies all hated having their hot skin against mine. i would put a receving blanket between any of my bare skin and theirs. it usually ended up just being my chest and their face. but that made them happier. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#5 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 11:08 AM

Hi.  I hope she'll grow to love it.  I was really fortunate as both of my boys love being worn.  I still use an Action Baby Carrier and the moment I start putting it on, they are excited.

I use a small cotton receiving blanket which I lay on my chest and their face rests on it.  It depends on who I am baby wearing.  If it is baby Kip, he's going to go to sleep within a few minutes.  If it is baby Jay, he's going to explore the world from up high!  So, with Kip, the receiving blanket helps keep us both more comfortable in the heat.  With Jay, we don't use it.

Good luck!  I hope you two can enjoy baby wearing as much as our family does!

#6 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we are mostly using the Moby still and she does great! I think she is still a little small for the ergo without an insert...her head is barely above the top. We did a morning walk with the Ergo today and had to move her to my back because it was hurting my low back...but she loved being on front and back exploring the world with big eyes!

It has been a record breaking 109 degrees here! So, I like your idea of using the receiving blanket.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page