Nap/feeding schedule 3 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-21-2012, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD will be 3 months on Monday and I have been EPing since she was about 2 weeks.  During the day I have her on a 3 hour schedule.  In the beginning we were feeding on demand but we've just kind of fallen into this routine.  It's always fairly tricky to read when she's hungry because she sucks on her fingers constantly and I never like to wait until she's crying because then she inhales the bottle really quickly and I just don't like to have her cry so with the three hour schedule she's always just ready but not starving.

Our routine is roughly like this...

9am

12am

3pm

6pm

9pm

9.45 bed

4am

This obviously sometimes differs a half hour each way or so.

I have been reading the no cry sleep solution and they recommend that bed time should really be around 7-7.30pm and perhaps it would be better but I just don't know how to alter her routine now, should I just switch one day to feeding her at 8am instead of time and slide everything up?

At night she never wakes up crying, she just wakes up several times because she wants her paci and can't get her fingers in her mouth right and then she goes back to sleep.  I mentioned this to the midwife and she asked why I was still feeding her at 4am, why don't I just give her the paci and let her sleep through?  Surely a 3 month old still needs to feed at night?  I tried it last night, my tired body got the better of me at 4am and I thought I would give it a go.  Still no crying but I was putting the paci back in so much I wouldn't call it sleep.  I then fed her at 7am (still no crying), when I feed her 4am she will drink about 130-150ml no probs.  She now gets 6 bottles a day, isn't it too early to expect her to make do with 5?

What i'm also not sure about is nap times.  I normally rock her until she's sleepy and then put her down for a nap about 45 mins after feeding but her naps usually only last about 45mins.  She will very rarely have a 2 hour nap that I hear some babies have and there doesn't seem to be any routine in it, what's best?

To be honest i'm glad she sleeps well at night and it's no problem to feed her at 4am.  I think for pumping it's good for me as well, otherwise I wouldn't be pumping as much.

Anyone have any tips for me?

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Well last night she had her last bottle at 20.30 (150ml), I put her down and she was asleep by about 9.15.  She sleeps with a paci and is addicted to sucking so if she wakes slightly and the paci has fallen out she wakes up.  This happend at 3.50 this morning and I thought great you slept all the way to now like normal even though you went to sleep earlier.  I leant over, popped her paci in and held her hand thinking I would get up in a few mins for her bottle and then I fell asleep!  I woke up and 5.20 and thought damn now it's messing up the schedule for 8.30 so I put the light on and actually woke her up.  She drank about 165 and was angry if I tried to remove the bottle to burp her in the middle, when we wanted to give her her bottle at 8.40 this am she wasn't really into it and only drank about 100ml and went down for her nap like normal.

Pfff bottle feeding is so much more complicated!  Now i'm not sure what to do.  We are also going to the UK in about 10 days so we will have a one hour time difference so I think it's best that she doesn't go to sleep too early at the mo otherwise it will be even earlier when we are over there.

Does anyone have any tips?  If she skips the night feeding does she just drink less during the day or should I give her larger bottles?

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

#3 of 3 Old 07-23-2012, 05:43 AM

At about 3 months, we switched to 5 bottles a day. She slept through her her morning and I added one oz to each bottle.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page