4 month old nursing schedule? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 month old is not on solids yet as she shows little interest in food yet and I'd like to wait until 6 months for a variety of reasons...

How many oz on average does your 4-6 month old drink in a day? What does your nursing schedule look like, as far as amount at one time and number of Feedings/feeding times during the day?

My daughter is bottle nursed and recently she has been eating less (about 6oz) less per day than her previous norm for the last 2 months of 25-30oz per day. She will either skip an entire feeding (she is very clear when finished) or she will only drink 3-4 oz at a time instead of her previous norm of 5-6. So now she is getting more like 18-25oz per day. There is not a growth issue as she was 50/50 at two months and is 70% weight and 85% height now.

I'm just curious if others had this experience...maybe she was just in a huge growth spurt before? I thought she was supposed to be getting hungrier at this point LOL

Oh and she sleeps 12-13 hours now which is great, but it means she misses a feeding!
#2 of 4 Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 AM

That sounds exactly like mine although I don't know the amounts past about 10 weeks (she started accepting the breast). But 0-4 months WAS one giant growth spurt. Let me give you her weight history and you'll see :-)
Birth: 7lbs 15 oz
4 months 16lbs 8 oz (more than double birth weight)
6 months 17lbs 8 oz
12 months 23lbs 14oz (a
As you can see, she grew more in the first 4 months as in the last 8. Babies on BM generally grow very quickly at first and then slow down. Your LO is just following her instincts and taking what she needs. The drop in her appetite makes a lot of sense; the same thing would happen if she nursed directly - you just might not notice as much. Hopefully this will help make it easier on you to pump what she needs and maybe build a small stash for emergencies. :-)
#3 of 4 Old 07-21-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! This is so reassuring to hear, and my daughter seems to be on a similar growth track. Breast feeding was not an option for me, but I wondered if BF babies also go up and down with their needs...so that was a good point that I may just notice it more. I actually dont pump either...dear daughter is adopted and after much consideration regarding supplemental aids, I decided to exculsively bottle nurse, but just the same, Excellent info!

#4 of 4 Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Ah sorry about the misunderstanding :-). If she pees and poops enough and in general is growing and thriving then some ups and downs in intake are very normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page