Is GAS as common as people think? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a postpartum doula who works with new moms, and I also work with some online and IRL moms' groups as a "resident expert" of sorts.

I'm torn about gas - much of my reading, research, and training says that gas problems are not that common in babies, that they used to be because of crappy formula. But, most of the new moms I know blame gas for their babies' fussiness and crying, even when gas treatments don't work. (I'm not talking about needing a burp after a feed, but a chronic, ongoing, "My baby is crying so it must be gas/GI related").

Honestly, I have never seen a baby in my practice with what I would say is unequivocally a gas problem, but the babies I spend a lot of time with are a small portion of the moms I interact with overall.

What has your research and experience told you about gas? Breastfeeding or bottle - both moms seem to blame it equally. Thanks mamas!! I know my MDC smarty-pants mamas will have some brilliant insights :)

#2 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 06:18 PM

My DD is gassy but I have an forceful let down - my milk comes out FAST! She gets fussy when she needs to be burped or farted (infant massage to help the gas out). If she wakes up soon after falling asleep, its because she needs to be burped. She'll let out a huge burp, then go right back to sleep. I may be left of center, so not considered typical though.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#3 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 07:38 PM

I don't think any of my babies have been that gassy.  I don't even burp them after a feeding.  Once in awhile my 2 week old will fuss a little and then fart.  But nothing that lasts longer than a few seconds.  I breastfeed, rarely using bottles, if that makes a difference.

Mama to three

#4 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Mine is extremely gassy, and fussy becausep of it! He pulls his legs back all the time, and will be fine until all of a sudden he lets out piercing screams. I know it's gas because I can hear it coming out, he will probably fart between 8-10 times about an hour after each feed, and always has alt least 2 huge burps during feedings. I usually stop him partway through to get him to burp and then again when hes done. That being said, I use gripe water which helps temporarily, but he is definitely still fussy....I stopped dairy today so well see if that helps. I should also mention that he was diagnosed with reflux and given Zantac, but so far it really hasn't helped after being on it for a week. He is much better when upright, but still spits up 5-6 times after each feed.
#5 of 10 Old 07-21-2012, 09:55 PM

My daughter didn't have long term, as in months of colic.

She hardly ever cried and then at three weeks old she was absolutely inconsolable. My friend told me aout the gas drops and I was reluctant because I didn't want to give her anything unnatural (especially since already formula feeding) She was terribly colicky and she had a ten day every day occurrence of inconsolable crying. It was horrible. I tried the gas drops but without much luck. Then I started putting the drops in her formula (she is exclusively bottle nursed with formula) and there was an immediate and drastic turn around. I used the drops in every bottle for two weeks, tapered off and she has never had gas again.

I don't know for sure that it was gas. I do know that she was absolutely inconsolable and when I started adding drops to her bottle, she was back to her content self from day one of that method.
#6 of 10 Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 PM

I also have a reflux baby who's on 30 mg of prevacid a day.  He is 6 weeks and the gassiest newborn I've ever been around.  Seriously, he lets out the biggest, loudest farts, you can literally feel them through his diaper and clothes when you hold him.  They're extremely stinky, which I don't think is normal for an exclusively BF baby, so I'm currently on an elimination diet to see if that makes a difference.  My daughter was the same way, I think some babies just have an immature gut and others don't, however reflux plays a big part for sure.

#7 of 10 Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 PM

My baby was extremely gassy because I had oversupply/forceful letdown issues. Not only was he a constant rumble butt, but he had to be burped several times after a feeding, and he'd still spit up gobs of breastmilk. He was extremely fussy and colicky at first but after about 6 weeks I guess he got used to it or we figured each other out. Block feeding helped a lot with oversupply/letdown issues as well. I tried those gas drops too and honestly I'm not sure if they helped or if he just wore himself out crying and fell asleep. I decided not to take any chances and still use them when all else fails. He doesn't show any other signs of allergies so I'm not changing my diet. I think it's just a foremilk-hindmilk issue and block feeding helps when it can be done.

#8 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I've had gas issues in 2 out of my 4 babies. It was miserable. Those two babies also had a lot of reflux issues so for us, those two issues came hand in hand. 

ETA: I work with new moms and I do hear the gas problem a lot. Sometimes there is a real issue, other times there is a perceived issue. As in the families not realizing that not all babies are quiet so when baby fusses for anything, they jump to thinking it is gas. This can even be more elevated with cultural differences and other generations of family members being quite invested in the mom/baby dyad. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 10 Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My first had colic and some gassiness and my second has horrible gas, but doesn't have colic.  The gas that comes out of this baby is unreal to me - smelly, strong, and sharp.  It's sad, too, because the kicking, screaming, etc. all ceases once the gas is passed.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyedmama View Post

I also have a reflux baby who's on 30 mg of prevacid a day.  He is 6 weeks and the gassiest newborn I've ever been around.  Seriously, he lets out the biggest, loudest farts, you can literally feel them through his diaper and clothes when you hold him.  They're extremely stinky, which I don't think is normal for an exclusively BF baby, so I'm currently on an elimination diet to see if that makes a difference.  My daughter was the same way, I think some babies just have an immature gut and others don't, however reflux plays a big part for sure.

Really?  Out of curiosity, does your baby poop daily?

#10 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 04:45 PM

I've got a breastfed and very gassy baby here - He's also got reflux, which I'm finding go together. Seriously, his burps and farts are so loud my mother frequently thinks it is the adult nearest him, not him. When he goes from comfortable or sleeping straight to screaming, he usually stops when he's had some bouncing/rocking followed by a large release of gas. Also, I've found he gets rid of alot of his gas when nursing, not sure why. Just my experience so far.

Keeping busy with DH partners.gif, our crazy dogdog2.gif, grad school caffix.gif, and our new baby boy who arrived in June! babyboy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page