impact of father rage on babies under one year? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-29-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

my partner has anger management problems stemming from an abusive childhood. he has it under control 90% of the time, but I worry about the impact of his anger tantrums on our 8 month old. when he gets angry he yells at me (which is not the example i want to pass on to our son about how men should treat women). last week he smashed a plastic trash can and a water pitcher while our son was under his care ( I was out of the house). Can anyone point me to research or articles that document the impact of fatherhood rage on babies? I feel like if I could show him some psychologist research or something like that it might help him to control himself or step out when he's on the edge.

thanks

#2 of 4 Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 AM

I don't have any articles handy, but it seems Googleable.  I was just wondering how your husband is actively managing his anger.  Does he have a therapist or support group that helps him process things and keep his big feelings in check?  

This is not what you asked, but I personally would not feel safe leaving my baby alone with someone--even the father--who has outbursts like this.  Are you and your baby safe there?

Hugs, Mama.  I hope you find the answers you need.  Sounds tough. grouphug.gif

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#3 of 4 Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 AM

i would be concerned about safety as well. i would not leave the baby with him. and i have a husband who has frustration issues. it has taken a long time for me to get it across to him that he cant act like that around the kids. i do not leave the kids alone with him. he gets frustrated with them to easily. i dont think he would ever hurt them but i also know that people who wouldnt otherwise hurt someone can lose control if they get upset enough. i dont have any articles but babies exposed to that usually develop different brain connections. i had read research on it at one point.. when i was in therapy for battered women (my ex husband was violent and i left when my oldest was 6 mo). it can continue the cycle bc they learn that is how it works. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#4 of 4 Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

10% of the time NOT under control is a lot of time.  IMO- showing him research won't help.  He knows that the way parents act affects their kids- he is proof of that (although it sounds like perhaps a different degree/ different context).  He probably can't research his way out of this.  There are programs designed specifically for this.  If he is unwilling to work with a professional on this and is unable to control his "tantrums" and yelling at you [to be honest- that sounds like verbal abuse?] in front of your child- then I think you need to consider the health of your relationship.  This won't be fixed just because he/ you wants it to, or because he loves you/ his son/ you love him.

I don't mean to be a preachy downer.  I know that only the people in a relationship can truly understand what's going on.  But I also know the mentality of "strong feminist women like me don't get stuck in abusive relationships, therefore this isn't abuse, it's just an intense/ complex/ etc relationship."

If none of this rings true than ignore it an I apologize.  But I felt like I had to say it.    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page