Red Spots almost like chicken pox but not.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FYI...I did call the pediatrician yesterday and they said without fever to just wait it out and that it could be a number of "summer virusses"...or filiculitis (inflamed hair follicle)

So, Friday morning Rosebud woke up with three flat red spots on her fore- head, within two hours she had two more along the hairline (she has basically no hair).

Saturday, they bulbed up a little, so I thought somehow she got chicken pox. I feel confident after talking to pediatrician and looking up online that it is not chicken pox. She has no fever, doesn't act like it itches and is not fussy.

Well today, instead of taking her usual two 45-60 minute naps, she has slept a total of seven hours, plus the 13 overnight. And now, at 5:30 has two more spots this time on her right wrist....so obviously NOT filiculitis.

She has had diarrhea twice today and a runny nose. Should I chalk this off to some kind of cold virus on a baby with somewhat sensitive skin? The pediatrician basically said that they wouldn't do anything with no fever, no real fussiness (but it's hard to tell because she isn't really ever fussy, but has slept A TON more than normal), and less than thirty spots....and that there are a plethora of skin viruses that happen during summer. So, with two new spots, now I'm curious...

This post is more just curiosity if anyone else has seen this sort of thing....not so much out of worry because she really doesn't "act" sick.

I'd post a pic of the spots but I'm on an iPad and can't figure it out...
#2 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 PM

Do they stay after they form or do they fade and new appear? DS deals with hives a lot. They are usually an allergic reaction to something, but they can also be essentially an allergic reaction to a virus or bacteria too when a kid is fighting something off or actually sick with it. Individual hives tend to fade and reappear in new locations. 

Other thoughts--bug bites? Hand-foot-mouth; aka coxsackie? That usually causes fever in my kids, but some kids apparently get no fever. 

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#3 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting thought about allergic reaction to something. She does have sensitive skin with mild infant execs a, but it's definitely not hives. They are small red raised spots like a pimple. Almost like a flea or chigger bite, but we havent been outside and i did wash her bedding today. The ones that showed up Friday are fading while the newer ones look like the beginning ones from Friday.

She definitely has, what I would usually say is a cold, sneezing and congested.

I did wonder about hand, foot mouth, but it's not really blistering. So strange.
#4 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 PM

Hm. Do you feel ill at all? Breastfeeding? It could be something like coxsackie or some other random illness but isn't getting as bad as typical because you're passing antibodies to her. If she's not uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it persists. 

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#5 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well, no new spots, up all night with a full fledged cold. No fever, hoping she feels better soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page