Making Short Naps Longer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 12 week baby has this kind of schedule going on now : Awake 1.5 hours, Sleep 30 minutes throughout the day.  She eats at the beginning of this cycle which amounts to every 2 hours in the daytime.  Night sleep is 6-7 hours then 2 hour stretches until morning.

I'd love for her to be able to take longer more restorative naps, but I end up giving in when she is exhausted and then she wakes up hungry 30 minutes later.  I feel like she is fussy at night after her long stretch so from 4AM-7AM and that gets us off to a rough start in the morning.  Today she woke at 7AM ate, and was falling back asleep at 8:15. 

I'd love to get her on that normal 9, 1 & 4 nap schedule that everyone else seems to be on so her naps will be more restorative.  Any ideas?

Things we are already doing : darkness, swaddling, white noise & Zantac.  When she is tired I swaddle her in the dark room (not pitch black) turn on the white noise and bounce her to sleep on a ball.  She usually goes out in just a few minutes.

-----

www.milkmombaby.com

breast milk keepsake locket kits

treehugger.gifbfinfant.gifwaterbirth.jpgslinggirl.gifcd.gif

#2 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 PM

I have a 9 month old who is just recently on the nap schedule you mentioned. 12 weeks seems like such a long time ago, but it sounds very young for them to reliably do anything. It's all about nursing on demand and it's tiring, I know. That 6hr+ stretch at night sounds pretty nice though!

chicken3.gif     2008.2011.2014      homeschool.gif
#3 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 06:57 PM

When my kids were tiny, I remember that outdoor time or bath time prior to naps always seemed to help them sleep more soundly and for a longer period of time.  Also, some babies do wake up every 30 minutes during a nap, but you can sometimes get them to go back to sleep if you catch them before they are completely awake - I would just lie down beside the babe as unobtrusively as possible and nurse him/her back to sleep.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. 

#4 of 4 Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 PM

I write this as I lie next to my sleeping 8 month old smile.gif he has been a 40 min napper since day one. The only way I can get him to take a longer nap is to go in and lie next to him after he's been asleep for 35 min, then as soon as he stirs I rub his back or nurse him back to sleep. Then I sneak away and he continues sleeping for anywhere from 10 min to 1 11/2 hrs. 25% of the time it doesn't work at all and he's up after that first 40 min. I have done this with him for MONTHS as I read somewhere it will help get your baby to nap longer. Everywhere I've read about thus method the source says it should only take a week or two of this early interception method before your baby will start sleeping right through the wake up. Not for my guy :/

A few times (like 5 or 6 maybe) he's done a randomly freakish long nap of 2 - 2 1/2 hours without any interception from me but I can never count on it happening.

So there's my story. Personally, I became so much happier when I dropped all expectations of my baby keeping any kind of nap schedule ( we have a routine which is the same most days, but we are happily schedule free). Short nappers are a lot of fun! They're so excited about life that they just can't waste the day sleeping! smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page