Corneal abrasion and baby's reaction to meds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night my 5.5 month old baby girl somehow scratched her cornea while playing with a piece of (soft, button-free!) fabric. We went to the ER at the children's hospital because at first I thought she'd had an extreme allergic reaction to something. She was crying horribly, her forehead and eye turned red, she wouldn't open her eye, it was awful. Anyway, they gave us erythromycin ointment to apply to her eye to prevent infection and told us to give her baby motrin or tylenol for the pain. They applied the ointment at the hospital and I gave her Little Fevers (dye-free) acetaminophen when we got home so she wouldn't be in so much pain. She slept a looooong time last night and seemed a LOT better when she woke up today. But a few minutes after I put the antibiotic ointment on, she started screaming-crying again. :( I gave her a little more acetaminophen, then she got kind of wonky (drowsy, making funny little noises, not herself), and then she nursed a bunch and just fell asleep. This is the first time she's ever taken any medicine. Could this be a reaction to the acetaminophen or the antibiotic? Does any of this sound familiar? Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable? I hate seeing her like this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have a pediatrician. If not, you might just call one, or the nurse at the children's hospital to find out. I wouldn't be alarmed by the crying as it probably hurts and the ointment, while applying it may irritate her soreness.

The antibiotic isn't oral right? If its just topical, I don't think that would cause a reaction. Double check the dosage for the amount of Tylenol you are to give. When my DD had high fever, I gave Tylenol and it made her feel better but she definitely seemed drowsy. Honestly, I viewed it more as a self-soothing attempt since she wasn't feeling good than a reaction to low dose infant Tylenol.

User Tag List