Baby won't nap, everyone suggesting CIO please help me! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, it was so good to read this thread. Makes me feel a lot better knowing I'm not alone (I guess somehow I knew but reading it definitely helped). I only wish my daugther would take a pacifier I think that would be half her sleeping problem resolved.

#62 of 81 Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockingMum View Post

Wow, it was so good to read this thread. Makes me feel a lot better knowing I'm not alone (I guess somehow I knew but reading it definitely helped). I only wish my daugther would take a pacifier I think that would be half her sleeping problem resolved.

You'd think. But then if the paci falls out and you have to replace it every 40 minutes, there's a new issue. orngtongue.gif

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#63 of 81 Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yup that's how it goes here to!  Most of the time the paci lands under the crib or our bed, thank goodness I now have two glow in the dark ones!

Normally DD takes 3 45 min naps, yesterday her morning nap was nearly two hours.  She was asleep by about 19.50 but the 'paci and rolling dance' started already before midnight!  Somewhere between 12-1 I put her in our bed (this seems to be happening every night now but normally around 4) and I think she/we got some sleep because I remember dreaming.  She woke up early at around 6 ish though so I played dead while she played with her feet and babbled until about 7.30.  Maybe the long nap messed things up?  Sometimes I'm resolved to leave her in her bed for longer before moving her but I'm so sleepy I just don't know what I'm doing and bring her in blush.gif

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

#64 of 81 Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 PM

They are so completely unpredictable, these babies. I'm on a road trip and baby boy has been sleeping for about three hours so far. It was supposed to e a 4 hour trip but its going to end up at least five or six. My fingers are crossed. He threatened to wake at hour 2, but I put a finger in his hand and he settled quickly.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#65 of 81 Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 PM

My daughter was just like that too. During the day she would sleep only if I was holding her on breastfeeding pillow. She would fall asleep nursing, and then I would have to seat with her like that until she wakes up. If I tried to transfer her  to the crib, or to get her to sleep in the crib in the first place without nursing she would not sleep (or would wake up when I tried to put her from the pillow to the crib). Whatever I tried did not work so I just gave up and watched a lot of TV / read a lot of parenting books when was on my "holding" duty :) The house was a mess but what could I do? If I would not hold her she just would not nap. The only alternative was to drive somewhere - she could fall asleep in the car, and at least I could do some shopping. This changed at about 6 months - her sleep became less sensitive, and I could put her into crib more easily. She would sleep in the crib for 20-30 minutes, and gradually her naps sometimes even became as long as 40 to 60 minutes. She is now 1 y.o., and she still falls asleep pretty much only at the breast or with the bottle, but it usually happens much quicker than it used to, and I can put her into crib easily without her waking up. I guess this might be just a matter of age - babies developmentally become ready to sleep better as they grow.

#66 of 81 Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 PM

Remembered one thing that was helpful - to warm up the crib before putting the baby into crib, this way baby does not wake up when you put him/her from your arms or breastfeeding pillow on the cold crib sheet. You can use a heating pad to keep the bedding warm. Another thing I came up with is to put a receiving blanket on a breastfeeding pillow when nursing my DD. When she falls asleep I put her into crib with her blanket. First, it's easier to transfer her on the blanket, and second, because the blanket is warm it's less likely that she will wake up from touching the sheets.  

#67 of 81 Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

I thought I read this somewhere on this thread but now I can't find it.  Someone said that babies are generally either good nappers, good night-time sleepers or bad at both.  I went from having a baby who slept until 6am at 3-4 months but would only nap in my arms to a babe who will nap three times a day in her crib but keeps waking up at night!  I'm not sure what's worse redface.gif

I am so regretting giving her a paci though.  Last night between 1.30-1.50 I must of put the paci back in once every 2 minutes, somewhere she must of fallen asleep because the next time she woke up at was 4am.  I decided to give me arm a rest and put her in with us.  DH is moving to DD's bedroom tonight because he is getting a sore throat and doesn't want her to catch it.  DD hasn't had a cold yet and I was thinking if her nose is blocked she probably won't be able to suck on the paci, what on earth will happen then!

#68 of 81 Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well the night before last went well.  I gave the paci a few times and when she woke at 4ish I put her in bed with me and she slept off and on until 8am.  Last night was another story though.  I remember being awake and giving her the paci before midnight.  At some point it must of got really bad and I put her in bed with me but she never really slept solidly.  At 5ish she was fully awake, chewing on the paci, snatching it out of her mouth and then wanting it back, grabbing my pj top etc to the point where she really started crying and I had to start walking around the room with her.  Finally got her off to sleep but ended up sitting up in bed with her in my arms so I didn't really sleep greensad.gif  After a couple of days of this I usually end up with a raging head ache from lack of sleep so that messes up the days as well.  I'm going to try and go for a long walk with her this afternoon, if the rain stops, to see if that helps.

She's also been increasingly fussy during the daytime at the moment.  She wants to do so much but she's just stuck on her back.  She tries to lift her head up to sit and then get's really annoyed when it doesn't work.  She hates tummy time so that doesn't help.  If this is developmental or teething related it could be some loooong months before it gets better.

Normally I go to bed really early to try and get a couple of good hours of sleep in before she starts waking up but my mum is coming to stay this weekend so I can't really up and leave early in the evening, i'm going to be wiped out with all the extra cooking and cleaning!

#69 of 81 Old 10-14-2012, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

It's official, my little one her her first cold greensad.gif

#70 of 81 Old 10-26-2012, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Just wondering how everyone is doing?

We got into this routine where DD would sleep until about 1-3am (I would give her her paci a few times), then she would wake up completely and come into bed with us, sleep until about 5/6am, then I would lay her on my chest whilst I was propped up on pillows and she would sleep another hour or so.  Although her cold seems totally gone during the day she always gets blocked up again at night, I can hear that her nose is blocked and sometimes she snores.  I have one end of the mattress elevated, rub a sort of baby vicks on her chest and a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil on her sheet.  Is there anything else I can do?  I try aspirating her nose before bed with saline but I never get anything...  Now she wakes as early as midnight and was on my chest from about 4.30 this morning.  I don't mind her being in the bed but I don't want this chest sleeping to turn into a habit, thing is I'm soooo tired it just seems easier in the short time redface.gif  I guess I'm digging myself a hole for later!

#71 of 81 Old 11-01-2012, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Pfff here is what's going on at the moment...

Last Saturday DD took a mega long nap when we where out walking, 15.15-17.25ish, she normally naps 3 x 45 mins, she slept terribly that night which I attributed to the big nap.

The next day she refused to go down for her last nap, naps are at 9.30, 13.00 and 16.00, she slept much better than she had for a long time, straight through until 4am, then into our bed.

Yesterday she napped 45mins, 25 mins, 30 mins so I thought she would probably sleep ok last night, I was wrong!  She was asleep by about 20.00, woke at 12.30 needing her paci I kept giving it to her and helping her to lay on her side for 40 mins, she kept on biting on the paci and pulling it out, I gave up and put her in bed with us, she slept on and off until 4.00, then she had had enough.  I sat up in bed with her in my arms and she slept off and on for about an hour, then she had had enough again, laid down for about an hour, then back sitting up with her over my shoulder until 7.30.

Her nose is still blocked at night, which doesn't help, but this has been going on much longer than the cold.  Introduced solids two weeks ago, hasn't helped.

I don't know what else to try, I have tried tilting the bed, moving the bed, other pj's, other sleeping bag etc etc.  Our bedtime routine is very consistent and I never have a problem getting her to sleep, just keeping her asleep greensad.gif

#72 of 81 Old 11-03-2012, 04:20 PM

Okay, no one yell at me, but I learned something from Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. There's some pretty harsh CIO in there (and it's HORRIBLY written, egad!), but the important take-away is that "sleep begets sleep." His argument is that the more overtired the baby gets, the less easy it will be to sleep and the cycle just gets worse and worse. The advice that we took from the book was to never let DD be awake for more than two hours without attempting to soothe her to sleep. And NOT to reduce day sleep in order to try to improve night sleep, since that only makes the problem worse.

Once we started being very disciplined about watching the clock, she slept SO much better and cried SO much less. She is now seven months and we still don't let her go more than three hours without a nap. She routinely takes an early evening "pre-bed" nap, and then is awake for about twenty minutes before going to bed for the night. We still bounce her or swing her first, but then we can put her down and she looks so relieved to be on her way to sleep.

If you don't want to read that book, I think the same argument is made is many sleep books, actually.

Also, there are just phases. Every time I think I am about to have a break down, she changes her schedule to something much more pleasant. It's like she knows Mommy is about to lose it. smile.gif I remember big shifts happening at three weeks, six weeks, four months, and six months.

#73 of 81 Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 AM

I don't know clairbear, our sleep is so up and down. Last night we had 7:30PM-1:15AM of sleep, then feed, then wake at 3, 4, 5, and brought him in bed at 5. When he woke up at 3, 4, and 5 he went right back to sleep, but only after replacing paci and two minutes of crying (in arms). It was so strange. The night before He slept until 11PM, then wouldn't sleep in his crib (I think his gums hurt), so I brought him in bed and he slept through the night (I think he must have nursed once or twice). A few nights before that he was in bed with us, kept waking up. Finally we put him back in his crib and he slept BETTER that way. Sigh. No idea. 

I can say that bedtime has been wonderful. Eat, bath, PJs, then chill play and reading if he's not sleepy yet, then nursing, then in crib, read same book, say same good night words, and lights out. He goes to sleep almost five minutes after this almost every night. It's been awesome. 

#74 of 81 Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 AM

I haven't read that book auntbea, but I absolutely agree with no reducing daytime sleep to try to get nighttime sleep. It rarely works in the short term, and pretty much never long term. Once we got DS on a good consistent daytime nap schedule, his nights got SO. MUCH. BETTER. I couldn't believe it! And an earlier bedtime made a world of difference too. Now it is so obvious when he's gotten to bed too late the night before - if he's not asleep by 8-8:15pm the next day is a complete write off!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#75 of 81 Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I agree.  I really really liked this book, though I obviously ignored the CIO recommendations and bias against attachment parenting.  What was super helpful for me as a first time parent was the 2 hour rule (like you said) and the cues of what to look for.  I realized at two months that I had been missing her tired cues for at least a month -- eyes gazing at nothing, fussiness, batting ears and eyes, and yawning (that one I recognized, obviously).  Now every hour and a half I watch for these cues and it's like clockwork.  I swaddle, shush, and nurse her and she falls right to sleep.  And our nighttimes are much better now that she sleeps during the day.  Incidentally, I also get a lot more done.   And we have had no crying (except in the car seat) for weeks now.  It's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbea View Post

Okay, no one yell at me, but I learned something from Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. There's some pretty harsh CIO in there (and it's HORRIBLY written, egad!), but the important take-away is that "sleep begets sleep." His argument is that the more overtired the baby gets, the less easy it will be to sleep and the cycle just gets worse and worse. The advice that we took from the book was to never let DD be awake for more than two hours without attempting to soothe her to sleep. And NOT to reduce day sleep in order to try to improve night sleep, since that only makes the problem worse.

Once we started being very disciplined about watching the clock, she slept SO much better and cried SO much less. She is now seven months and we still don't let her go more than three hours without a nap. She routinely takes an early evening "pre-bed" nap, and then is awake for about twenty minutes before going to bed for the night. We still bounce her or swing her first, but then we can put her down and she looks so relieved to be on her way to sleep.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#76 of 81 Old 11-15-2012, 06:04 PM

Our nights have gotten completely messed up. DH is gone this week (returning tomorrow after a week!), and DS has a cold. I have completely dropped the nighttime routine and just brought him back to bed. He wants to suckle all night (whereas when he coslept 0-3mo he nursed and let go), which is uncomfy for me. I'll get through tonight then re-start some routines with DH tomorrow. Hopefully this cold goes away soon. It's a doozy (nose like a faucet, coughing, and labored wheeze-sounding breathing. :( )

#77 of 81 Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM

RosieL: *hugs* That sucks. Our nighttime routine always goes to the wayside whenever DS has a cold as well. And it's so hard for them to nurse and get the comfort they want when they can't breathe through their nose! I always give up any pretense at trying to get DS to sleep through the night until the cold has run its course. But it does really get wearing after a night or two, I find I get a bit touched out when he's sick. I have found a big thing of Vicks Vaporub and a Vicks steamer really help DS sleep when he's sick. he HATES having his nose suctioned, it makes him hysterical which is really not condusive to sleep, so I just use the Vicks and some Tylenol and tough it out greensad.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

#78 of 81 Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Astrid just got through her first big cold as well.  Unbelievable that a cold can make the poor things feel so bad!  The first night I had to sit up in bed with her from 1-6am just because she had so much mucus if was hard for her to breath through it.  She didn't cry but kind of moaned all night, she kept spitting her paci out herself realizing that she couldn't breath if she used it.  I have one of those Vicks plug in things and it seemed to really help.  DD also starts freaking out if she only sees the nose suctioner!

In general our nights are also up and down, she's asleep by 19.45, wakes between 1-2am, comes in with us, wakes somewhere around 5am, lays on me until about 7.30.  One night this week she slept from 19.45 until 4.30, it was heaven!

Next week we are going to the UK for a week and I just don't know what to do about the one hour time difference.  It's only one hour so I'm wondering if I can stretch everything out so she is on UK time for a week?  Otherwise she will be going to bed at 18.45 UK time but we will be staying up late to be with family and she will be rising at 6.30 UK time.  Add in the multiple night wakings, this morning she woke at 5.30 our time which will be 4.30 UK time and I will be one wiped out mama.  What do you guys think?

#79 of 81 Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

I need to post this somewhere so it might as well be here...  DD is cutting her first toothjoy.gif  I'm not sure if I'm ready for things to be going to fast! 

#80 of 81 Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 AM

clairebear3 - When we have travelled, I adjusted DS to local time rather than stick with what his bedtime would be in our time zone. Honestly I find that when travelling with him his bedtime goes a bit to the wayside, but I try smile.gif

And congrats on the first tooth!!!

#81 of 81 Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 PM

Yay for a first tooth! Hopefully it won't mess with sleep too too much. Soon she'll be ready to wolf down her own solids. Odin's biting chunks off with his teeth...it's nuts!  eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page