Reading for post c-section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any reading suggestions for "getting over" having a c-section? Whenever I see something about the high rate of c-sections and how bad they are, and how babies miss out on so many good things by not going through the birth canal, I feel an overwhelming sense of guilt.  I know I tried as hard as I could and we did everything we could, and having my amazing doula in the room was the sure fire way to know that it couldn't have gone any other way.  But I also feel like I failed my baby. Like I could have given him all these additional
protections and benefits and I wasn't able to do so.... do you know if anyone has written about this? 

Quick labor summary: 22 hours unmedicated, contractions stopped, head crooked and too large for birth canal. Tried pitocin without any pain meds to get the whole thing going again, pushed for 3 hours, finally no other choice but a c. 

Thanks!

(cross posted in my Feb 2012 DDC)

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#2 of 7 Old 08-18-2012, 11:28 AM

I know that there are discussion and groups about this, but I don't know what they are off the top of my head. Bump?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#3 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 PM

I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time. Have you checked out the cesarean forum? http://www.mothering.com/community/f/17256/cesarean

Good luck. hug.gif

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#4 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM

Just know that you are not alone. I did not want to have a c-section either, gave my husband strict instructions on that on the way to the hospital as well. But after 2 days of natural labor even when getting pitocin I broke down and got an epidural. After a night with the epidural and more pitocin my labor was still not going past a 6. I also struggled with the exact same feelings for a few weeks. Around 6 weeks with the encouragement and talking about it with my husband and lots of prayers I felt the "guilt" lift up. There is not a lot of conversation around the struggles, and the struggles that come about with having an unplanned c-section. Good luck and know that you have someone that understands. Not sure of any groups though. 

#5 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. I didn't know there was a c-section forum here, this is really helpful.  I know a big part of it is my perfectionist streak.... I wanted my son's birth to be this perfect image of peace and joy and instead I had some peace and joy and then some frustration and a lot of pain and then a big letdown. 

I will just have to keep working at it. 

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#6 of 7 Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM

I know how you feel, mama. I'm a very analytical person, and what helped me was reading other people's experiences with surgery, and outlining the positive things about my own experience. I was a home birth transfer, and even though I am a little sad that my son's birth experience wasn't what I expected, it's just how he had to be born (he was malpositioned and by the time we figured out what was wrong, he was in distress). I have to stand up for our experience - it was absolutely meaningful and memorable.

feel free to PM me if you'd like to process your experience with someone who's been there. the cesarean forum here is also great.

-maryam-

mother to a little silly goose boy (May 2012) + seven non-human kiddos + five who have passed on stillheart.gif

partner to a babywearing, dirt-digging, diaper-washing, hammer-wielding programmer since November 2003

#7 of 7 Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

You have/ will have countless opportunities to provide beneficial experiences, nutrition, and relationships to your child.  When your baby is new, the birth experience can seem like such a big percentage of that.  But as your baby gets older, and you continue to be an awesome parent, all those other choices start to add up and balance out the things that didn't go ideally.

Which is not to say that birth doesn't matter-- it absolutely does, but it's not about it going one way.  It's about you knowing that you were strong and a survivor, that your baby is resilient, that you had supportive people around you, that you understand what happened and why and the story of the birth becomes one more story in your life.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page