Excessive gas and screaming? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

My 2.5-day-old has cried inconsolably the last two nights except when latched on at the breast. He's been burping and passing gas like crazy, and a lot of the time when he's sucking, I can hear air bubbles moving down his abdomen. He has also frequently passed gas upon latching on and sucking. He vacuum seals himself to my breast like his life depends on it, even when not sucking much. If you pop him off, even after 30 minutes or so, he will often start howling as if in pain. He hasn't had a bm for 18+ hours, despite 5 or 6 previous bms. Any ideas? Definitely going to try to see a pediatrician tomorrow (today, really!), but would love it if anyone has any clues!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#2 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter did this the first week or so, although she hadn't missed a BM so that is something you definitely need to get checked out, which of course you are. 

It could be something you eat, it could just be adjusting to life outside the womb. 

I went to a homeopath and she chose a remedy that I took before feeding and also crushed on a spoon to a fine powder and dabbed it in my daughters mouth. 

It seemed to do the trick in a few days, but it may have also been time passing that helped. 

I hope all is ok and you find a solution. 

treehugger.gif

Natural Parenting Guidelines

Learn more about Natural Parenting, Holistic Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, Baby Wearing, Cosleeping, Non-Vaccination and Baby Led Feeding/Weaning.

Got something you're passionate about? Come write an article for us and link back to your blog! 

#3 of 4 Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Monkey, how is your little guy doing now? And, congratulations!

Me & DH ; DS (Aug 2010) ; DD1 (May 2012) ; DD2 (Nov 2013)
#4 of 4 Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Forgot about this...should have updated! A million times better now that my milk is in. I'm really not sure all of what was going on those first few days, but I'm glad they're past. The day before my milk finally came in, my mom came over and saw how fussy and impossible he was... How I could NOT get him to latch for anything. So she went and bought me a pump and made me pump, and we soon fed him some colostrum, and then were finally able to get him latched. dh and I used the same trick a few times over the next few days, and then it became unnecessary. He's now very poopy instead of so gassy, though he remains gassy, too.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page