How do you keep them safe with older siblings? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, any

ideas here? DD2 is constantly putting stuff in her mouth and I am not fast enough to get it of the floor all the time.

We live in a huge house, and the two older ones are just throwing there stuff around, I thing DD2 just swallowed (I hope swallowed) a tiny pearl, I could not get it out of her mouth fast enough.

I feel overwhelmed. Why did Mother nature invent something so stupid like this constantly putting things in their mouth? My older ones either didn't do it or I was better in keeping stuff at bay. I don't know. It's not only toys but straw, tiny branches, stones, grass, stuff like that. I do vacuum every day, but I am not fast enough!

Tips?

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#2 of 4 Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 AM

For one, I think you can relax a little bit. My DD ate way more sand, mulch, grass, leaves, etc. than I wanted her to, but she's still alive. lol.gif

As for some of the toys, I told my older DD that unless she wanted to pick them out of littlest's diapers, she'd best keep swallowable things in her room or otherwise inaccessible. smile.gif I may have also temporarily rotated some things out of use until DD was mostly past that phase: I know we pulled out the big blocks instead of the legos, for example, and played with a train set instead of cars with itty bitty wheels. Good luck!!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 4 Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We have special toys that can only come out when DD2 was asleep.  If DD1 didn't clean it up, she didn't get it again for a while.  I also don't have alot of toys with super small parts.  

The toys we have out all the time, big blocks, scarves, wool balls etc are all ok for DD2 to put in her mouth (although, she is almost 2, so she is past the putting things in mouth stage).

Good luck!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 4 Old 08-22-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

I don't mind swallowing, she is totally allowed to eat sand, but these choking noises freak me out. I think she would probably just spit the stuff out herself, wouldn't she? - but i tend to panic redface.gif

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page