Babies with flat spots? Need reassurance! - Mothering Forums
Life With a Baby > Babies with flat spots? Need reassurance!
Blt178's Avatar Blt178 12:08 PM 09-13-2012
My little guy is 6 months now and i am obsessing over his flat spot on the back of his head... He doesn't spend much time on his back anymore now that he is rolling around and trying to crawl. I had heard that things should have rounded out by now! I tried to do everything i could to keep it from worsening once i saw it was developing at around 3.5 months - moon pillow, tummy time, wraps, etc. but apparently it was not enough!

It isn't the worst flat spot ever but is certainly noticeable to the naked eye. Have i permanently disfigured my son? Is there still time for it to correct? Anyone with personal experiences?

HappyHappyMommy's Avatar HappyHappyMommy 11:36 PM 09-19-2012

Hi. I'm bumping up your post for attention. smile.gif Anyone have experiences or advice to share?

LLQ1011's Avatar LLQ1011 12:46 AM 09-20-2012

Mine had the same thing. It rounded out kindof now that hes 10 months. My head is naturally kind of flat which I didn't realize until my bf showed me too convince me to stop obsessing. It makes it look worse when its still a little bald there.

skycheattraffic's Avatar skycheattraffic 08:07 AM 09-20-2012
I know of two kids with a flat spot. One I don't see anymore (we went to the same infant massage class) but he started wearing the corrective helmet at six months and didn't mind it at all. His mom was worried initially but once they started using it, she said it was a breeze. By contrast another mom I know was offered the helmet at 6 months and she decided against it. Now her LO's head is evening out but now at 11 months it's still noticeable. In all fairness, he's a big boy and slept in a Velcro swaddle until recently so he didn't roll over until he was 6 or 7 months. He also didn't enjoy tummy time do he was on his back for a lot of the time.
I'm not trying to scare you into using the helmet but it's the right time to consider it. In your shoes, I would make an appt to discuss it. The dr usually takes measurements to assess the flatness and can quickly determine if the flat spot LO has is likely to correct easily on its own. Since your LO spends a lot of time off his back, I doubt you'd need the helmet but I would look into it just in case. Hth
transylvania_mom's Avatar transylvania_mom 08:49 AM 09-20-2012

My dd had a bit of a flat spot on one side but her head is fine now. She also seemed to prefer sleeping on the flat side only and I've lost many nights of sleep trying to reposition her and reading horror stories on the Internet. 

I would mention it to the doctor at the next visit, and if the flat spot is not severe, I would let it round out by itself. I've read many stories of kids whose helmets didn't help much.

Up