9 month old forgot how to roll over. Not to worry ... right? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD2 could roll from front to back and back to front reliably. But around 8 months, as she got busy crawling and pulling herself to standing, she seems to have forgotten how. Now at 9 months if I put her on her back she's like a stuck turtle. She honestly doesn't spend much time on her back now (except for diaper changes) because she's so busy being on the move, exploring everything, getting into trouble. Once she could roll back to front I started putting her down to sleep on her front, since she preferred it and ended up that way anyway.

I've been trying to give her some "back time" each day so she can practice. But so far she just gets frustrated because she hates being stuck.

I'm assuming that since everything else seems to be on track developmentally, there's nothing to worry about that she's forgotten how to roll. Is that true?

I do recall that with DD1, diaper changes were a pain at this age because all she wanted to do was roll away. That's one thing I appreciate about DD2, the stuck turtle. smile.gif
#2 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD didn't really forget how to roll but she got a lot more clumsy and less efficient at it. I did keep putting her down on her back though to sleep because of the safety factor and she'd roll over in two seconds most of the time while still sleeping. This way I could honestly tell the dr "yes, I put her down on her back" lol. Your DD sounds very capable with physical milestones so I wouldn't call this regressing. If she wasn't crawling/pulling up AND forgot how to roll over then I'd be concerned. In your shoes I'd try to see if I could help her along. When you put her on her back, put something tantalizing on one side of her (toy, water, you, etc) and as she strains to reach for it, help her (as little as possible) to turn over. Hopefully a few sessions of this exercise will help her remember the skill. It can't hurt.
Btw I envy you changing diapers like a normal human being. At 6 months I started having to do it while she was on her tummy, at 9 months when she learned to pull up we went to standing diaper changes and now at 18 months anything goes. As my friend so eloquently put it, "it's like trying to diaper a cat!".
But seriously, as long as the physical milestones are on track, I wouldn't worry :-)
#3 of 3 Old 09-25-2012, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've noticed with my kids that they lose/forget a skill temporarily while their focus is on something new. Usually they get it back in a few weeks.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page