4 mo old DD nurses every 2 hours and doesn't nap well! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok gals, just wanting to poll your opinions yet again. DD still eats every two hours. We're having such a difficult time getting her to take naps of any kind during the day, and it seems she always wants to nurse to sleep, even if she just ate within the hour. She has started going to bed between 7:30 and 8:00pm each night, then awakening around 4:00am to nurse again. Then she sleeps until around 7:00am. She used to go to bed (starting at around 4 weeks) around 9:00pm and sleep until 5:30am without waking. She is growing and gaining fine. Is she working on lengthening her night sleep? Is she sleepy early because she only naps 1-2 hours during the day? Is is normal for her to still be eating every 2 hours or is this just a habit for her now?

She used to take two naps per day while she was about 10-14 weeks old.  Then we took a two week trip to CO, where I desperately tried to keep her on a schedule with moderate success.  We returned home, moved, she started teething (though those symptoms are subsiding for now), she went through a growth spurt, and she started to roll over/wiggle herself in circles.  Her bedtime is very consistent.  I have started to dream-feed her around 10pm, which helped her sleep until 5:30am two nights, but last night she awoke again at 4:30am.  Then she slept until nearly 8:00am.  Would it help to have a more consistent morning wake time?  I really just want to help her nap better during the day.  I also don't want to continue nursing every two hours if that's not normal.  Help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Every two hours is totally normal! My 18 month old will still nurse that often on many days. The 8 pm to 4 am sleep is wonderful!!! I'd give almost anything for that! My DD is down around 8, wakes at 10, again around 12:30, then 3ish and up around 6:30 or 7for the day. Remember, she's 1 1/2. Since your LO sleeps so well at night, she NEEDS those day sessions to get her nutrients. In fact, I might be worried if she slept that well and DIDN'T nurse every other hour at her age. It sounds like she's getting around 13 to 14 hours of sleep in 24 hours which sounds pretty good. Do you nurse her down for naps? It's perfectly natural for her to nurse to sleep for a nap even if she nursed 30 minutes before for food. Does she want to nurse between those two hour gaps? If yes then I bet she's trying to get to sleep the best way she knows how. I would just make sure to nurse her on demand and when she seems cranky/tired then nurse in a dark place with white noise. You may be surprised and get more naps out of her.
From my experience, babies tend to be either great sleepers or great nappers but rarely both. (and then there are those who are neither). I wouldn't wake her in the morning because that may make her overtired which could impact her night sleeping. 8pm to 4 am is NOT something you want to mess with lol. For better naps, blackout drapes and white noise (a fan) helped us. Good luck! Hth
#3 of 5 Old 10-06-2012, 08:03 AM

^^^^  What she said.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#4 of 5 Old 10-06-2012, 05:08 PM

Totally normal and pretty enviable.  I found with DS1 who was a horrible night sleeper AND napper, that the more I worried about scheduling nurses and sleep, the worse I felt.  Once I let go of all expectations and just went with his flow, we all were happier and slept better.

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#5 of 5 Old 10-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Consider yourself very lucky! YSounds like you have a dream baby! My DD 7month old is up every two hours at night to feed as well as during the day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page