Tea for babies?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone given their babe tea?  I'm toying with the idea of giving dd a little bit of warm tea before bedtime - something with chamomile to help aid sleep.   I don't want to fill her tummy up with tea, but was wondering if this would also help eventually with nightweaning (which we aren't doing anytime soon, but I'm thinking about strategies to help it go smoothly).  Anyone tried this and had any success?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 05:38 AM

I haven't done it but I would wait to try it until after her first birthday to be on the safe side. I'd also make sure not to sweeten since sugar at bedtime is a bad idea.
#3 of 8 Old 10-20-2012, 01:32 PM

How old is your baby?  I have given my babies some tea to treat irritability (like when they were teething).  I don't think I would make it part of a routine or anything but I might consider it if my baby was particularly fussy that day.  Chamomile tea is perfectly safe though, and I don't see a problem with giving it once in awhile.  How do you think it will help with night weaning?

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#4 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 AM

i have given my babies chamomile tea as early as 6 weeks old to hep with colic. 1 tsp cooled tea. how old is baby? that would help answer your question.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#5 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

DD is 10.5 months.  The only liquid she consistently gets is breastmilk now, though occasionally she drinks water.  My thought was if I offered tea in a bottle/sippy cup as a replacement for nursing in the night, would that help with night weaning.  I wondered if the chamomile would have sleep inducing properties and help her nod off..... not planning on night weaning anytime soon, but I was just thinking about it....

#6 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rooibos, which is a kind of herbal tea leaf, is used for colic. That could be a part of a good tea for that purpose. I'm not an expert on homeopathy but there are some moms here who know quite a bit. I think you'll probably catch them if you cross-post here: http://www.mothering.com/community/f/45/health-and-healing

Good luck!
#7 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 PM

We give our son who is 11months old tea almost daily.  Our natruo recommended food-grade teas (chamomile, raspberry leaf, peppermint, etc for daily use, it is pretty much impossible  to take to much of these teas. Currently our little guy has a yucky cold so we are giving him diluted elderberry, mullein tea, but that is more medicinal so it is only for the course of his cold.

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#8 of 8 Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I give my son chamomile tea (when he's teething or sick), and when he was younger, fennel tea (he was very gassy as a babe).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page