Trying to preserve sanity - need advice on getting a baby and a toddler to nap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok moms, how do you get your baby and toddler to nap throughout the day? My DD who is almost 3 still naps most days, and really needs the nap because if she doesn't, she is either falling asleep or a crazy little terror by 5pm lol! My DS who is 4 months naps several times a day, but needs the house to be pretty quiet in order to fall asleep. We don't have a big house, and I don't have any help during the day.

Hew is what we do: I get out an activity for DD to play with or something to watch on TV, and I take DS in his room and start nursing him. He will start to drift off, and just before he is good and asleep my Dd will come tearing in yelling things like MOMMY I HAVE TO PEE! MOMMY I WANT A DRINK WHAT ARE YOU DOING? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY OUT THERE I WANT TO BE IN HERE WITH YOUUUUUUU! And she will finish it with "oh guess what mom, I think baby brother is awake!". Um no freaking kidding kid, thanks so much!

I am trying not to get too frustrated, but it's so hard when I just need them both to sleep. I feel like so much of my day is spent keeping one quiet while the other one naps. I don't think DD should be walking on eggshells all the time, she deserves to be able to play when she is awake, but it is so much harder when DS doesn't sleep. The longer I take getting him to sleep, the later her nap is pushed and it makes it so much harder to get her down too.

So, how do you do it? What do you do with your toddler while you try to get your baby to sleep? What do you do when you are with your toddler and your baby starts screaming? Abandon all nap efforts? Sit in the corner and cry? (I'll admit this technique hasn't worked well for me lol). Any advice is welcome, I know there are many moms here who are much wiser than me, so thanks in advance smile.gif
#2 of 3 Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 AM

ug, if you figure it out, let me know!!

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#3 of 3 Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 PM

First off, I only have one. But there is something that helps DD fall asleep and stay asleep: white noise. I keep a fan in her room and it's always on at naptime and bedtime (and stays on until she wakes up). It's soothing and lulls her and it drowns out other noise. It won't cover up a screaming toddler but it can't hurt to try it. HTH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page