Oddly Shaped Head - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi !
Is it possible to create head deformities from resting your baby's head on your arm (while breastfeeding, while he's sleeping, and so on.). I'm careful not to put him down too much. I wear him in a sling most of the day or at least hold him, but when he falls asleep inthe sling, he likes being cradled. His head looks a little odd in the back, but perhaps this I just a variation of normal . I didn't even notice until the other day during a bath I took with him and I got his head all wet to wash. (he's got LOTS of hair which he was born with). He's 11 weeks today. His head is a little long and high in the back. Hard to describe. I plan to take pictures of his wet head for my next Dr. Appt. At 4 months old.

Thank You,
Tallie
#2 of 5 Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 PM

If it's something that you're feeling concerned about (and it could be totally normal), I would call your doctor to ask instead of waiting for your next appointment.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 5 Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you smile.gif. I'll definitely consider it.
#4 of 5 Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM

Ask the doctor.  For the first 3 visits I was convinced there was something wrong with her feet.  I asked every time.  The doctor never even blinked, and just kept repeating that her feet were fine and I was a good mother.  Her feet, for the record, are fine, and the office still uses that calm, soothing "Good mama." on me when I'm fah-reaking out about something.  They're used to it!  Ask the doctor until you feel better.   smile.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#5 of 5 Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Yes, holding the baby in he same position all the time, resting on the head, can cause problems. It happened with my son. He favored nursing on one side and I slept holding him at night with my arm under his head.  In my son's case it was also causing problems with his neck and turning his head.  I didn't even notice his miss-shapen head until my pediatrician pointed it out.

Through massage and chiro visits my son's head went back to normal. And just from me switching sides more often so it would regulate the shape of his head too. But I chose to see the chiro because of his neck problems as well.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page