9 month old with runny nose, congestion, occasional cough.... what to do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We both have a cold, and I'm just riding mine out as I'm 6 weeks pregnant and there's not really much I feel comfortable taking. Is there anything I can give my 9 month old or should I just let her ride it out too? I usually have to suction her nose 1-2 times a day to help clear it so she could nurse. She has an occasional cough and sometimes makes a noise like she is clearing her throat. I have somewhat of a sore throat so I bet hers is sore too. I haven't done anything... what should I do, if anything?

#2 of 3 Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM

When mine were that age and super snotty I found that baths helped loosen the mucous, and it gave them something to take their mind off of it if they were feeling crummy.  We also used those mesh feeder things and put ice cubes or frozen breast milk in them, which they would readily take.  There was no way of knowing if they had a sore throat or not, but I figured that would help if they did.

I hope you're both feeling better soon.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#3 of 3 Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 PM

I always keep a humidifier running when DD is sick to keep the mucus from drying up and potentially causing a problem. Our air in the cold months is super dry due to the furnace and I find it irritating on my sinuses so I again use the humidifier. I give Tylenol sparingly when she's in pain or has a fever but that's usually not the case with a cold. Babies are too young for cough suppressants or expectorants and generally need to ride it out with as much nursing as possible. It's tough to see them be sick but you're doing good things to help her through it. Hang in there mama!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page