Am I crazy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

(I think) I have a problem: I don't actually do what the pedi says..I'm doing what I think is best for DD..

Do you have a close relationship with the pedi? Like..how often do you  get your baby to the pedi? I feel like I'm avoiding him.

greensad.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I purposely sought out a pedi (she's actually a family practice doctor, so she did my prenatal care, delivered my babe, and is now both our docs) who was aware of and supportive of attachment parenting (though I don't consider myself 100% AP).  When I asked her about co-sleeping, she gave me the party line (sleep alone in a crib) before saying that the reality is that BFing will make you crazy if you don't co sleep.  Then we went over how to do it safely. 

There was a thread about this earlier and different people have different approaches.  I tend to get overwhelmed by authority figures, so it was important for me to have someone who was on the same page as me, especially because DH would follow her lead (he's very medically oriented).  Other people are able to just reject advice they don't want.

But if you're finding yourself actually avoiding your doctor, that signals a problem to me.  I love our doctor and love going to see her.  We do the standard well baby visits because I know she's not going to force things on me and I trust her pretty much implicitly if there were a problem.  I'm probably closer with her than most people are with their pedis because we did the very frequent prenatal visits, she delivered my baby, and was wonderful when DD had to spend a week in the special care nursery.  So I feel like we know each other very well.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It can be difficult to find a doctor who agrees with all your choices. Some things may not matter if you both agree. Others may be bigger issues. I would consider what would happen if your child was sick. What might the doctor recommend that would clash with your priorities? How would you handle that? It's fine not to agree when the child is well. But if there's a problem, would it be an issue?

User Tag List