4 month hold not lifting head - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I always told myself I wasn't going to get all worried over milestones and I have been avoiding them online and in books but my almost 4 month old (in 4 days) isn't holding her head up when laying on her stomach.  She has hated tummy time since the first day we tried it so I avoided it knowing she would cry and now occasionally lets me set her down now for about 5 minutes!  When she is on her tummy she doesn't show any interest in lifting her head and I have tried a few 'tricks' to try and get her to - but she'll just move her eyes up at me or whatever I'm shaking, lol.  I'm only a little worried because we go to the doctors in about a week for the first time since our midwife stopped the checks and I don't know how they will act towards this.  She was 3 weeks early so I have been trying to reassure myself that this is why she seems behind.  Should I be going by a chart for a younger baby?

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that my little chicky is just fine and maybe a little advice on how to handle the doctors.  I have been purposely avoiding this day mostly because I knew it would be me going in alone and I really don't want to hear the doctors criticize how we choose to parent Aurora.  I'm kind of a scardy cat :P

Thanks ahead of time, Mamas!

#2 of 2 Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My understanding (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that if the babe is early you go off what her actual due date would have been in terms of developmental milestones, not her actual birthday.  Every baby is different, but I wouldn't worry too much yet.  I would worry more if she weren't achieving social milestones (like smiling and babbling) than the physical ones, particularly if it's just one physical milestone.  Is her head stable when she's upright?  Can she roll over or is she starting to try?  If those are fine, I wouldn't worry about one particular move.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page